Opportunity at SMEC
About SMEC: SMEC is a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high quality consultancy services for major infrastructure projects.
SMEC is ranked among the world’s top infrastructure design firms and continues to win industry awards for technical excellence, design innovation and the management of environmental and social risks. SMEC is a member of the Surbana Jurong Group of Companies.
The SMEC Profile:
- It is our culture to celebrate diversity, employ great people and work on interesting projects
- We are a private company registered in Australia
- We have an established network of over 75 permanent offices around the world and over 6,000 employees.
- We offer our people opportunities to work, both in Australia and internationally, in the areas of: Water; Hydropower and Energy; Transport; Geotechnics and Tunnels; Environment; Urban Development; Social Development; Government and Advisory Services and Mining, Oil and Gas.
We are currently looking for a Sociologist / RAP Specialist to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
This role is to support the Social Development Group in providing inputs to various SMEC projects as Sociologist and RAP Specialist, support the Functional Manager in activities related to business development and project management
- Provide services as Sociologist and RAP Specialist as and when assigned by the Functional Manager for SMEC projects;
- Prepare Expressions of Interest and proposals;
- Prepare Proposals;
- Undertake SMEC marketing activities- identification of resources and organizations to partner with;
- Carry out project management and administrative tasks as and when assigned;
- Participate in capacity building and training activities as needed;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
Key Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Sociology, Geography, Economics, Social Work or equivalent;
- At least 15 years of work experience in the areas of social impact assessment, preparation of Resettlement Action Plans for linear and non-linear infrastructure projects (transport, water, dam and power sectors).
- Experience in implementing RAP (Resettlement Action Plan);
- Experience in preparing livelihoods restoration plans;
- Rich experience in conducting socio-economic and RAP related surveys;
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation is desirable;
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge on qualitative and quantitative statistical analysis is essential;
- Ability to develop good working relationships and positive spirit in teams composed of international and local staff;
- Prepared to learn new skills quickly and eager to pursue excellence through continual improvement in learned tasks;
- Excellent spoken and written English is required; and proficiency in French would be a plus.
- Strong report preparation skills;
- Good multicultural communication skills;
- Strong computer skills and proficiency using Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Exposure to GIS shall be given preference.
- Good project management skills.
Interested candidates should send their updated CVs quoting the job title on the email subject to, email@example.com on or before 14 June 2018.
This position is only open to Kenyan Nationals.