Job Vacancy: Civil Society and Evaluation Expert, USAID / Kenya and East Africa Yetu Evaluation, Team Leader or Team Member
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness.
We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Project Objective: USAID Kenya and East Africa (KEA) have asked Social Impact to conduct a mid-term performance evaluation of the Yetu Initiative, an intervention which leverages resources for community philanthropy-based approaches to empower Kenyan civil society organizations (CSOs) to help communities tackle challenges that they deem most pressing.
By supporting Kenyan contributions towards community-driven priorities, Yetu builds local ownership, trust, and support for Kenyan civil society, while also building self-reliance and reducing dependence on external donors.
The purpose of the Yetu evaluation is to learn from the experiences in Yetu: the strengths, limitations and good practices of community philanthropy aspracticed in the initiative and how community philanthropy can be used to strengthen civil society and promote self-reliance in Kenya. The estimated period of performance for this evaluation is from July 2018 through October 2018.
Position Description: SI is seeking individuals with civil society and community philanthropy expertise to serve as Team Leader or Team Member. Tasks will include conducting a desk review, designing data collection activities, producing an inception report, collecting and analyzing data, presenting findings at stakeholder dissemination events, and producing draft and final reports as the main deliverable.
The expected start date is at the beginning of July 2018 and we anticipate this position will require between 32 to 42 days of LOE. This is a consultancy position reporting to the U.S.-based SI Technical Director and working closely with the SI management team, as well as two to three other evaluation team members with civil society, philanthropy and/or performance evaluation expertise.
If selected as Team Leader, this individual will have overall responsibility for the quality of the evaluation design, data collection, and deliverables and the overall management of the evaluation team. This position includes fieldwork in Kenya, which will take place in August/September 2018.
- Conduct/lead a desk review of documents relevant to Yetu programming
- Participate in/lead developing the evaluation design and data collection instruments.
- Administer key informant interviews (KIIs) with internal and external stakeholders in Kenya
- Organize and participate in focus group discussions (FGDs) or surveys of Yetu partners and beneficiaries in Kenya
- Contribute to/lead the development of project deliverables, including the inception report, desk review, draft report, final report, and presentations
- Communicate project results to key stakeholders (USAID, Yetu Project Steering Committee, AKF)
- If selected as team leader: Manage evaluation team and ensure quality work in all deliverables
- Work closely with SI HQ team and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel.
- Apply and adhere to guidance of SI’s Evaluation Quality, Use, and Impact (EQUI) system.
- At least five years of experience carrying out and/or leading evaluations, including implementing various data collection and analysis approach and methods and developing reports
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, social sciences, economics or any other relevant field
- Expertise in the behavior and functioning of civil society organizations.
- Expertise with community philanthropy initiatives strongly desired.
- Experience with organizational capacity assessment methodologies preferred.
- Prior experience working in Kenya with an understanding of the local country context preferred.
- Strong professional written and verbal proficiency in the English language; knowledge of Swahili and local Kenyan languages desired.
- Experience effectively presenting findings to and communicating with client, government, and non-government stakeholders.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently to meet deadlines and adhere to high quality standards.
- Ability and willingness to travel to Kenya for fieldwork
International and Kenyan candidates are encouraged to apply HERE.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well- being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please, no phone calls.