Job Vacancy: Evaluator, USAID / Kenya and East Africa
Strengthening Community Resilience against Violent Extremism (SCORE) Evaluation, Kenya
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness.
We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Project Objective: USAID Kenya and East Africa (KEA) have contracted Social Impact to conduct a mid-term performance evaluation of SCORE, a five-year activity that seeks to mitigate conflict and violent extremism (VE) in six counties in Kenya’s Coast region (Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Mombasa, Taita Taveta and Tana River counties).
Since 2014 the implementing partner Act! has worked with local civil society organizations (CSOs) to strengthen community resilience against conflict and VE through various approaches such as interfaith dialogues and counter messaging, empowering women and girls to address VE and conflict, advocating for the strengthening and harmonization of policies on CVE and land to mitigate land conflicts, and youth empowerment by expanding economic opportunities and encouraging civic participation to reduce the allure of financial gain from VE and violence.
The purpose of this evaluation is to assess the performance of the SCORE program by capturing emerging results against the activity objectives, gauge its overall effectiveness and sustainability to date, and identify lessons learned and best practices.
The evaluation will contribute to a base of evidence to determine which kinds of CVE interventions are most effective, in what combinations in a given context, and which can and should be scaled up.
Position Description: SI is seeking an individual to serve as one of the investigators on this evaluation as part of the evaluation team. The evaluator will provide technical inputs into the evaluation methodology, collaboratively develop the data collection strategy, instruments, and protocols; conduct data collection and compilation; engage in key informant interviews and focus group discussions; conduct data analysis; and develop the final report. The expected start date is July 15, 2018 and we anticipate this position will require between 34 to 36 days of LOE between July and November 2018.
This is a consultancy position reporting to the U.S.-based SI Technical Director and working closely with the SI management team, as well as two other evaluation team members with conflict and/or performance evaluation expertise. This position includes fieldwork in Kenya taking place in August/September 2018.
- Conduct a desk review of documents relevant to SCORE programming.
- Provide technical input into the evaluation design and data collection instruments.
- Administer key informant interviews (KIIs) with internal and external project stakeholders in Kenya.
- Organize and participate in focus group discussions (FGDs) and/or surveys of SCORE partners and beneficiaries in Kenya.
- Contribute to the development of project deliverables, including the inception report, final report, policy brief and presentations.
- Present project results to key stakeholders (USAID/KEA, Act! project staff), relevant Embassy counterparts, other relevant development partners, government officials, and USAID implementing partners in Nairobi as well as the SCORE subgrantees in Mombasa.
- Ensure quality work in all deliverables; implement SI quality assurance processes.
- Work closely with SI HQ team and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel.
- Master’s Degree in degree in political science, international relations, social sciences, economics or any other relevant field any relevant field of study, or a Bachelor’s Degree with not less than seven years of experience in lieu of the Master’s Degree
- Minimum five years’ experience in conflict mitigation and/or CVE
- At least five years of experience carrying out and/or leading evaluations, implementing various data collection and analysis methods and developing reports
- Prior experience working in Kenya with an understanding of the local country context
- Ability and willingness to travel to Kenya for fieldwork
- Experience effectively presenting findings and communicating with client, government, and non-government stakeholders
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently to meet deadlines and adhere to high quality standards
- Strong professional written and verbal proficiency in the English language; Kiswahili and other Kenyan languages spoken on the Coast preferred
Please review the posting online and apply HERE.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team,
and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please, no phone calls.