TechnoServe Recruitment Notice
Job Title: Sustainability – ABA
Reports to: Senior Business Advisor, Sustainability
Location: Field (Nyeri, Kirinyaga, Murang’a, Embu & Meru Counties)
Travel: Frequent local travels within the assigned regions
I. TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description: TechnoServe is in partnership with Nespresso SA to implement the Nespresso AAA Sustainable QualityTM Program in Kenya. The overarching goal is to reduce poverty of smallholder coffee farmers in Kenya through increased coffee incomes as a result of improved yields, quality and market access to Nespresso’s AAA supply chain.
III. Position Description: The Sustainability Field Technical Assistant shall provide coaching and technical advice to wet mills registered in the AAA project so as to enable them to improve coffee quality and remain compliant with the sustainability CORE criteria and other standards.
He/she shall undertake the coffee quality sensory analysis processes in the TechnoServe coffee quality lab and follow up at exporters’ facilities.
IV. Key roles and responsibilities
- Sensitize cooperative leaders and wet mill workers on the AAA CORE criteria and other standards and legislation which they need to comply with.
- Undertake regular visits to assigned wet mills to coach and support wet mill staff and cooperative leaders to maintain or work towards compliance with the CORE criteria and the standards.
- Conduct seasonal wet mill sustainability audits at assigned wet mills and work with the wet mill management to agree on action plans to achieve or improve compliance with the CORE criteria and other standards.
- Cary out seasonal sensory analysis through processing of samples by undertaking hulling of parchment samples; moisture testing; cleaning of green coffee samples and processing them for roasting; submitting green samples to Service off; following up receipt of analysis results and extracting feedback reports to wet mils.
- Maintain an updated KPI file with validated wet mill data for cherry, green coffee by grade, active farmers, farmers’ pay out rates, etc.
- Any other duties assigned by the Coffee Program Manager.
V. Required skills and experience
- Degree in agriculture, or related studies or a Diploma in coffee technology, agronomy, food technology plus additional 3 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a 4 year degree.
- Prior work experience of at least three (3) years in the coffee sector at any level of the value chain. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working in coffee quality laboratories or exporter warehouses.
- Strong analytical skills in advanced Excel.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili with ability to prepare and present well-written, cohesive analyses and reports.
- Strong planning skills and experience working to deliver quality work outputs within strict time lines.
- Willingness to spend time living, working and travelling in project sites located rural areas. Possess a valid Kenyan motor cycle riding license.
VI. Success Factors: Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
Decision Making / Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies include:
Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
VII. Career Pathways: The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Associate Business Advisor.
How to Apply: Please submit your application (by email only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title placed in the subject line.
(1) cover letter describing your interest,
(2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 28th June2018.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer