Job Vacancy: Product Development Officer – Furniture
Who We Are: Watervale is transforming Kenya’s furniture industry to put quality living within everyone’s reach. Joining us combines the stability of a mid-sized company with the growth opportunity of a start-up.
Here’s what our team has accomplished in the few years since our founding:
- More than doubled in size each year, growing from a start-up to mid-sized company
- Reached hundreds of thousands of Kenyan homes with our products
- Supported the growth of over 200 micro and small businesses across the country
- Attracted global investment to continue fueling our growth and vision
What You’ll Do: We’re looking to add someone who’s passionate about product development, someone who’s interested in developing new products in the furniture industry.
You’ll work with furniture designers, sales, quality and marketing to transform an idea to an actual product. You’ll manage fundis who’ll be a core part of your team and guide them in best practices of furniture manufacturing. Most importantly, you’ll be eager to take on more responsibility and grow your career as part of our team.
The Role in Brief
- Lead full cycle of development of product from concept to completion
- Manage and coordinate development of new products and drive improvement of existing product and product lines within the furniture industry.
- Work in close partnership and alignment with the supply chain team to select cost effective materials and drive profitability that supports company goals.
- Provide innovative solutions and creative insight for product design in relation to market demands and company image.
- Lead the R&D efforts in the furniture line to ensure that we’re constantly coming up with innovative and cost-effective solutions.
- Evaluate and resolve technical feasibility, design optimization and production issues.
- Manage furniture sofa manufacturing line and trouble shoot any problems that are encountered.
- Develop a high-performing team of fundis through thoughtful team member development.
- Continually evaluate team members and give feedback where needed to guide the career growth.
Career Growth: Watervale invests in building the capacity and skills within our team. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship from the management team.
Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for those who are ready to take up the challenge.
We’re looking for new team members who are first and foremost eager to learn and grow in their roles and think out of the box. We put less emphasis on formal qualifications and look carefully at candidates’ abilities, experience and character.
This is an entry level role and any candidate who feels they can undertake the responsibilities above to a high standard is welcome to apply.
Candidates should demonstrate the following in their application materials.
- Technical background preferable with some experience in CAD/Solidworks and any other design software.
- Woodworking or upholstery experience preferred
- Curiosity. Someone who is always interested to know how things are made and is constantly searching for how to make things more efficient.
- Ability to work in a disruptive technology space that is quickly evolving
- Strong interpersonal skills as this role will require managing fundis.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail—ability to look at a scenario critically and come up with solutions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Eager to join a quickly-growing organization and team
CLICK HERE to apply online