The European Union’s Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Department (ECHO) seeks to recruit a Programme Assistant (PA) – WASH to join its Regional Office in Nairobi.
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid (DG—ECHO), is the European Commission Department responsible for financing humanitarian assistance. ECHO finances a range of partners, which include NGOs, UN agencies and the Red Cross Movement, to provide assistance to people affected by both natural and manmade disaster.
1. Duties & Responsibilities
The Programme Assistant (PA) – WASH will be based in Nairobi and will support ECHO’s Thematic Expert in charge of WASH in the region by undertaking the following tasks:
- Assess water, sanitation and hygiene aspects of humanitarian situations in the region and provide recommendations on appropriate response:
- Provide sectorial technical appraisal of project proposals submitted to ECHO as requested:
- Provide quality technical advice and support to ECHO—funded projects, and assess policy compliance
- Regular monitoring of on—going WASH projects and follow up of recommendations based on ECHO’s policies and international standards / best practices:
- Provide advice and support to ECHO Country Offices at programmatic and strategic levels:
The PA will be covering Central, Eastern and Southern Africa countries where humanitarian crises are on—going or likely to occur. Frequent travel at short notice will be required. Based on evolving needs, the geographical coverage may change, and, if needed, the PA shall make him/herself available to cover countries outside the region.
2. Required Qualifications
- Bachelor or equivalent degree in water and sanitation engineering/technology; water resources management: water treatment: hydrogeology; borehole engineering or similar field;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations, in water and sanitation in the Central, Eastern or Southern Africa regions, including at least 2 years of experience with NGOs, donor or national/international organisation; this should include work outside Kenya; If the candidate does not have a relevant university degree, eight years’ work experience in the humanitarian sector will be required;
- Demonstrated understanding of water and sanitation and public health policies, standards, guidelines in emergency settings;
- Public health background ¡s an asset:
- Knowledge of international NGOs and UN aid agencies working in the region;
- Good knowledge of Project Cycle Management and ideally of international donors’ procedures.
3. Required Skills
- Fluent written and spoken English are required, Understanding of French language is an advantage;
- Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination. reliability and a high degree of personal integrity and discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process complex information; ability to clearly and concisely convey information;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected.
This is a local posting for nationals open to other residents of Kenya with a valid working permit.
The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 6 months’ probationary period.
As an indication the monthly basic salary ranges from KES 300,000 to a maximum of 500,000 (subject to local tax law)
Application plus detailed CV of the interested candidate should be sent ¡n the European CV Format only (CLICK HERE to download)
to Echo-Administration.Nairobi@echofield.eu (Subject clearly marked: REF: PA-WASH”) latest by 5:00pm, 17th August 2018.
Candidates who have not been contacted by 30 September2018 should consider that they have not been selected.