Job Title: Field Officer
Reports to: Associate Field Manager
Duration: Short term contract
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Summary: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them.
This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches.
GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers.
GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Role Overview: The Field Officer will be responsible for executing the recipient surveys & associated processes that facilitate GiveDirectly’s enrollment model. The role will reward high-quality judgment on operational questions & challenges, work ethic, communication skills, & a strong commitment to GiveDirectly’s mission & model.
You are expected to dutifully, diligently and ethically perform the following tasks:
- Report to the Associate Field Manager.
- Explain GiveDirectly’s program to eligible recipients.
- Administer required number of surveys per day using an electronic device, ODK.
- Explain safety and readiness information to recipient and ensure recipients are transfer ready.
- Track respondents and ensure their identity.
- Collect detailed and high-quality data.
- Schedule interviews with recipients.
- Coordinate and interact with other team members in order to ensure the quickest and smoothest data collection.
- Any other duties as may be required of you from time to time be assigned by the employer, your Associate Field Manager or any other persons nominated by the Associate Field Manager.
- A diploma or degree in relevant fields
- Previous working experience in the field in the Nairobi urban environment (1-2 years minimum).
- Empathy, honesty, and the highest standards of integrity.
- Strong commitment and interest in advancing the distinctive values and mission of GiveDirectly.
- Fluency in local languages and excellent communication skills.
- Patience and good judgment in resolving recipient problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in and within teams.
- High-quality problem solving skills and work ethic.
- Good time-management skills.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by a Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. The Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as may be necessary.
NOTE: GiveDirectly does not require and does not request for any form of payment from an applicant.