Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Vacancy: Area Manager – North East – Kenya
Ref. No: 3860990476
Job Location: Dadaab
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Programme to Kenya in 2006.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab, Kakuma & Mandera), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
NRC is seeking to recruitment an Area Manager for its operation in Dadaab and Mandera office.
The Area Manager is responsible for providing overall leadership of all activities within the North East Area and is a member of the Country Management Group.
The post is based in Dadaab with frequent travel to Mandera.
- Overall management of the Core Competencies activities, field offices and staff within the specific area, including the Area Management Team (AMT)
- Development and execution of the strategy for the area
- Adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Emergency response capacity in the area
- Safety and security of staff
- Area level advocacy
- External representation, coordination and relationship building
- Responsible for shared resource allocation
- Implementation of policies and procedures
- Learning, training and development of staff
- Ensuring right-size of support structure of Dadaab and Mandera to support programmes.
- Ensuring effective budget management and financial control.
- Ensuring monitoring and evaluation of all projects
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Degree level education in relevant subject
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
- Duty Station: Dadaab with frequent travel to Mandera
- Contract Duration: 16 months
- Salary & Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation package
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
*NRC is an equal opportunity employer with no discrimination in terms of sex, religion, ethnic origin or political affiliation. Females candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no. Email and paper applications will not be considered.
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Humanitarian Operations
- Role: Senior executive
Deadline for application: 15/07/2018