Save the Children | East and Southern Africa Office
Job Title: Regional Humanitarian Analyst
Reports To: Regional Emergencies Director
Location: based within East and Southern Africa Region
Contract Length: 1 Year
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Role Purpose: The Regional Analyst position is a part of the East and Southern Africa regional humanitarian team and based in the Nairobi Regional Office, responding to the needs for analysis and analytical support in the region and the country offices.
The Regional Analyst is also a key member of Save the Children’s Context Analysis and Foresight Unit (CAFU), a network coordinated a global level by Save the Children’s Chief Analyst, based in Stockholm.
The role aims to provide timely, quality and tailored contextual analysis and foresight for the purpose of informing strategic decision-making at national, regional, and global levels, as well as enhancing the organization’s response capacity, with a focus on East and Southern Africa countries.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Monitor contextual developments in the ESA region (trends, key actors, drivers of change) through specialized and relevant sources, both international and national and produce regular reports for use by country offices, the regional office and the Save the Children movement
- Complete regular monthly trend analysis and forecast document for country offices in East and Southern Africa.
- Provide support to country offices in East and Southern Africa in the development of humanitarian response strategies, emergency preparedness plans and early warning mechanisms with sound humanitarian analysis and scenario planning.
- Provide sound analysis (scenarios, actor analysis, conflict analysis, etc) on key topics, upon request from country offices, the region, the SC movement, and/or as part of CAFU’s collaborative work
- Share analysis in multiple formats (documents, presentations, workshops) for key stakeholders within the organization and beyond contributing to humanitarian, operational, and advocacy strategy design
- Provide methodological support (including training, peer review, content development) to Save the Children’s regional and country teams in relation to contextual analysis and humanitarian foresight
- Contribute to demonstrate the impact of analysis on better quality programming and humanitarian advocacy by documenting requests and use of analysis in ESA region
- Promote and profile Save the Children’s analysis and foresight within the wider humanitarian community
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field (political science, social sciences, economics, international humanitarian law, etc.)
- Good knowledge of analytical methodologies, approaches and tools
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent networking skills
- Excellent ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Diplomatic mindset
- Appetite for learning and making a difference in complex and challenging environments
- Record of research, publications and writing on humanitarian and development issues
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in humanitarian contexts in East and Southern Africa.
- Background in quantitative analysis (/statistics) appreciated
Personal competencies – Save the Children’s five values
How to Apply
The position is open to Kenyan nationals only.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE to send a short cover letter and CV as a single document.
The application period will close on 2nd August 2018.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.