USAID – US President’s Malaria Initiative
PMI VectorLink Kenya Project
Job Vacancy: Entomology Field Technician
Background: Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
Abt Associates Inc. seeks candidates for its phase two recruitment for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Kenya Project in the following positions.
Kindly note that the position is pending approval and client funding.
Entomology Field Technician
Under the supervision of the Technical Manager, the Entomology Field Technician will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Laboratory Coordinator with managing the insectary and laboratory in Kisumu.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Support implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
- establishment of sentinel sites
- pre- and post-pyrethrum spray collections to monitor indoor resting vector populations
- wall bioassays 1 to 2 weeks after every spray cycle to evaluate the quality of spraying.
- wall bioassays activities monthly in selected localities to evaluate the residual efficacy of insecticide.
- vector susceptibility studies annually for all currently used and candidate insecticides in order to monitor resistance status
- Participate in other field activities as required
- Perform morphological mosquito identification for Anopheles and culicine species.
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Support when required Entomology Laboratory Coordinator in managing the laboratory activities and insectary operations.
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry.
This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Secondary School / Diploma A2 completion (minimum), or Bachelors Degree (desirable), in bio-chemistry, laboratory, veterinary or other related health field.
- At least 6 months of experience in laboratory or veterinary work.
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of English and Swahili
- Experience working with the community
- Ability to work long hours.
- Experience with using keys for morphological mosquito identification is an added advantage
Duty Station / Location: Kisumu, Kenya
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to VectorControl_Kenya@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “Entomology Field Technician” by COB Tuesday, July 31st, 2018.
Please note that where there are multiple duty locations indicated for a position advertised above, the candidate is encouraged to state the most preferred duty location in the subject line as well.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.