UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No 025/2018
Post Title: Senior Human Resource Associate
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: G-7
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year
Date of issue: 19 July 2018
Closing Date: 1 August 2018
Organizational Background: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance
for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Human Resource Associate will work under the direct supervision of the National HR Officer and the overall supervision of the Head of the HR Unit.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinate and provide a full range of HR management assistance and activities including follow-up actions, resolution of issues and unforeseen situations, to ensure consistency and quality of HR services delivered to clients;
- Guide HR Assistants on correct procedures in position management and personnel administration to perform their duties and subsequently contribute to the provision of effective HR services;
- Regularly monitor, oversee and adapt existing HR procedures and collaborate with a wide range of HR stakeholders across the organisation to identify, assess and meet evolving HR support needs;
- Analyse and respond to a variety of complex internal and external queries particularly in the areas of contracting, position management and staff budgeting, to ensure that clients are well informed and that HR team activities are aligned with broader WFP objectives;
- Analyse and interpret a variety of data on staff contractual conditions, entitlements, and national staff turnover rates, and provide advice and recommendations to managers along with comprehensive analysis and reports for informative decision-making;
- Support and deliver a range of HR services allocated by the professional officer in compliance with relevant policies, procedures and processes and manage contracting of national staff;
- Support the head of the unit in preparation of the annual staff budget for personnel costs and position count. Prompt appropriate actions in HR management systems for the monthly international payroll and ensure funding of international positions;
- Coordinate with colleagues and support the delivery of on boarding activities for new staff joining WFP, to ensure that relevant processes are followed and the conditions of terms of service are explained and understood;
- Conduct regular audit of HR systems data for integrity and accuracy and compliance with established deadlines and ensure timely establishment of positions, delimitations of positions and data clean up in HR management systems;
- Coordinate the recruitment of Short-Term Professional Staff liaising closely with colleagues at the Regional Bureau/ Headquarters and support the head of the unit in reassignment exercises for International Professionals;
- Oversee the maintenance of confidential personnel records, HR databases in the area of responsibility, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards;
- Apply in-depth understanding of WFP HR operations to ensure their full alignment with WFP’s HR strategy. Drive continuous HR operations improvement and oversees implementation of changes, by maintaining robust review processes;
- Any other duties as may be required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary qualification in Human Resource Management, Psychology or related field. University Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is desirable.
- At least six years of relevant experience in HR including hands on experience in using HR tools and systems.
- Previous work experience in the UN system/WFP is desirable.
- Has gained experience providing administrative and systems support across some activities in employment life cycle including recruitment, contracting, use of HR tools and systems, relocation support and policy implementation within a country office environment.
- Prior work experience in emergency settings is an advantage.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Knowledge and skills:
- Proficiency in Excel usage including pivot tables.
- Ability to interpret and apply detailed knowledge of HR policies, operational processes, leading HR practices and internal regulations, within a complex operational context, to provide guidance to employees and implement solutions within area of responsibility.
- Familiarity with position management and staff budget in a large operation.
- Proven ability to work independently and cross-functionally with different partners.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to CLICK HERE to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.