UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No 024/2018
Post Title: Human Resources Associate
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: G-6
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year
Date of issue: 19 July 2018
Closing Date: 1 August 2018
Organizational Background: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance
for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Human Resources Associate will report directly to the Head of the HR Unit and work closely with the entire team.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute to staff wellness and a conducive, healthy working environment, This includes effective administration and resolution of medical cases and health-related issues in close collaboration with medical services and the staff counsellor; preparation and implementation of annual staff wellness plan with related activities ( e.g. health talks, workshops etc.);
- Coordinate and facilitate medical travels and evacuations from Somalia with relevant stakeholders including Security; Administration, Medical Services and Country Office Management. Organize briefings for staff on medical coverage, insurance plans, benefits and entitlements;
- Contribute to talent acquisition through the recruitment and management of international consultants (including selection & recruitment, preparation and administration of contracts, handling HR system actions, advising selected candidates on employment conditions, remuneration and related entitlements, on boarding and exiting);
- Support and deliver on boarding for new staff joining WFP, including but not limited to international consultants, to ensure that relevant processes are followed and the conditions of terms of service are explained and understood;
- Provide assistance on a wide range of complex HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high quality HR services are delivered to clients;
- Allocate responsibilities and support on-the-job learning and development of junior support staff, to ensure they have adequate knowledge of HR systems and procedures required to perform their duties and subsequently can contribute to the provision of effective HR services;
- Identify evolving needs of the organisation and recommend changes in HR processes and procedures, to support improvements in HR services. Prepare or update existing Standard Operating Procedures within area of responsibility;
- Analyse and respond to various internal and external queries, to ensure that clients are well informed and that HR team activities are aligned with broader WFP objectives;
- Review and compile a variety of data and reports on staff recruitment and selection, changes in staff composition (categories/contract types) and staffing levels to support analysis and reporting needs. Collaborate closely with Senior HR Associates on position management and HR system-related actions;
- Prepare and maintain organizational charts based on staffing statistics reports, closely monitoring and taking into account changes in structure and staffing levels in field offices and functional units in Nairobi. Review best practices and tools on the market in the area of organizational design and make recommendations to the Head of HR for improvement as necessary;
- Prepare a range of complex HR documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment records for international consultants, tracker of medical cases and summaries of complex cases etc.) ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines;
- Use HR management systems for reviewing, entering and updating a variety of HR data including monitoring various deadlines (e.g. contract expiration and validity of medical certificates and clearances), ensuring compliance with the established deadlines and accuracy of HR data;
- Any other duties as may be required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education, and post-secondary certificate in related functional area. Relevant training in and use of organizational design tool.
- At least five years progressive work experience in the field of Human Resources, including experience in medical benefit administration, medical insurance or similar area. Previous work experience in the UN system/WFP is desirable
- Practical experience in organizational design in a large and complex organizational context is an advantage
- Familiarity working with medical insurance providers in a humanitarian context
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of HR business processes, procedures and tools;
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork and organizational skills;
- Proven ability to work independently and cross-functionally with different partners;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced Excel skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to CLICK HERE to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.