Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Job title: Child Protection Liaison Officer
Categories: ☒ Collaboration ☐ Advice ☐ Management
- (Hierarchically- Program Area Manager
- (Functionally): Program Area Manager
Number of subordinates: None
Working time in %: 100%
Starting date: 15th September, 2018
Length: 3.5 Months
Number of position: (1)
Context: Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab Refugee Camp and in Korogocho slums. Tdh also implements WASH, Child Protection, health and nutrition projects in Garissa County.
General description of the position: Reporting to his/her immediate supervisor,the Tdh Child protection Liason Officer link focal person and provides liases with all relevant authorities at district, Dadaab and FAFI community levels (civil, religious, and all other services) to facilitate Tdh activities implementation, acceptance, and ownership from the community in Garissa County.
Specific Job Descriptions:
- Mapping,updating the database of partners of all relevant authorities at district, Dadaab and FAFI community levels (civil, religious, and all other services) that ensures none is left behind
- To strengthen partnership and networking with various actors in Hagadera camp: To increase participation by actors in project implementation to enable ownership and susistainability.
- To work with other statutory and gencies to manage risk and safeguard and protect children from the risk of significant harm and strengthen Child safeguarding policies.
- Act as the local Tdh focal point for symbiotic information sharing and communication with local authorities and community representatives and committees
- On a monthly basis, support the Program Area Manager in providing a regular social and economic analysis of the North Eastern Province and Tdh intervention areas within the monthly sitrep.
- Conflict resolution and intervention mechanisms by ensuring effective intervention of conflict and find a conducive environment for operation of services to enhance service delivery.
- Takes ownership for resolving problems, demonstrating courage and resilience in dealing with difficult and potentially volatile situations.
- Acts on own initiative to address issues, showing a strong work ethics and demonstrating extra efforts when required.
- Upholds professional standards, acting honestly and ethically and challenges unprofessional conduct or discriminatory behavior.
- Asks for and acts on feedback, learning from experience and debveloping own professional skills and knowledge.
- Remains calm and professional under pressure, defusing conflicts and being prepared to step forward and take control when required.
- Ensure enhanced accountability, transparency through Increased informational sharing, reporting and participation of beneficiaries in project implementation process.
- Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
This position requires personal, social and leadership competencies, technical and methodological competency.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of Child Protection/Safeguarding procedures.
- Demonstrate a real belief in public service, focusing on what matters to the public and will best serve their interests.
- Understand the expectations, changing needs and concerns of different communities, and strive to address them.
- Build public confidence by talking with people in local communities to explore their viewpoints and break down barriers between them and tdh.
- Understands the impact and benefits of policing for different communities, and identifies the best way to deliver services to them.
- Work in partnership with other agencies to deliver the best possible overall service to the public.
- Ability to work in partnership with other statutory and voluntary agencies.
- Very good communication skills both written and spoken including public speaking and giving presentation to a variety of audiences.
- A proven team player and promoter of an environment conducive to cooperation, collegiality, consultation and collaboration.
- Highly motivated, result oriented and self-driven person with understanding of due process, financial transparency and accountability, equity issues and how they relate to
- Tdh beliefs,values and principles.
- Competent in the use of basic ICT applications such as email and word processing.
- Accurate data entry skills and the ability to enter, retrieve and present information in a suitable format.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and experience working with multi-cultural teams
- Proven ability to work to strict deadlines, managing a high workload.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Flexibility and open to alternative approaches to problem solving.
- Minimum bachelor degree in peace and Conflict resolution and Management from a recognized university.
- Knowledge of statutory guidance, approved professional practice and local safeguarding procedures relating to Child safeguarding; Child Protection and Abuse Investigation; the investigation of Rape and Serious Sexual Offences and other children legal statutories. .
- Experience of multi-agency working with statutory and voluntary agencies.
- Experience of data/information collection, analysis and presentation of information
- Experience in use of community based approaches in conflict resolution and management.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in Community Liason within child protection.
- Project reporting and evaluation experience.
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili and Somali Language, and knowledge of Somali culture and traditions is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of North Eastern Province (Garissa , Dadaab Refugee camp context) social and security context, community organization and dynamics
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates, (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 28th August, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview.
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.