PMI VectorLink Kenya Project
Community Mobilization / IEC Assistants
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homabay Township, Ndhiwa, Mbita, Rachuonyo North, Kabondo, Kasipul and Suba) in Homabay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
NB: These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis.
Job title: Community Mobilization / IEC Assistant
Supervisor: County Coordinator
Location: Migori and Homabay Counties, Kenya
No. required: 4 (2 in Homabay and 2 in Migori)
Overall Purpose: The Community Mobilization/IEC Assistant will assist in coordination and implementation of project related community mobilization activities in the County under the supervision of the County Coordinator and in coordination with the IEC Coordinator.
S/He will facilitate all community mobilization, branding/marking and communication activities in the said County working closely with the local authorities and leadership to position PMI Vectorlink pre and post spraying activities.
- Ensure strengthened partnerships and collaboration between Sub County Partners and other like-minded partners working in the area.
- Coordinate all mobilization activities in the County in liaison with the IEC supervisors as per the spray / mobilization calendars
- Collect and document success stories from the field and share with the program team
- Maintain an inventory of IEC materials received and issued and track their movement. Make timely, appropriate requests to ensure constant supply of material needed for IEC activities.
- Maintain proper records on County IRS Community mobilization and IEC activities.
- Work closely with storekeepers to ensure IRS IEC materials are well tracked and records well kept.
- Participate in community surveys that are to be conducted.
- Conduct quality control and assurance checks to ascertain community mobilization and communication work is done to agreeable standards.
- Provide updates and analysis of key developments in targeted thematic areas.
- Organize and participate in community sensitization activities and ensure that minimal or zero refusals to IRS is experienced.
- Coordinate market interrupt activities together with site coordinators and IEC supervisors
- Attend stakeholder meetings including chiefs barazas on behalf of PMI –Vectorlink at the sub location and ward level
- Submit weekly reports to the IEC Coordinator capturing progress of mobilization activities, challenges experiences, lessons learned and successes
Required qualifications and experience:
- Vocational training plus one and a half years’ experience in the area of community development, social sciences or other related discipline.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Must have had two (2) years supervisory experience preferably in monitoring and community mobilization.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience managing IEC and community outreach /mobilization activities for local health programs is essential, experience with malaria prevention programs preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Conversant and able to communicate in the local language, Kiswahili and English.
- Advocacy related skills would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to train on heath related issues.
- Strong computer skills required
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to Kenya_IRSJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “Community Mobilization / IEC Assistant” and specify the location/ward preferred by COB Wednesday, September 12th, 2018.
Please note that where there are multiple duty locations indicated for a position advertised above, the candidate is encouraged to state the most preferred duty location in the subject line as well.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.