A non-profit organization focusing on helping populations in Nairobi through education, community outreach and economic empowerment programmes in order to facilitate sustainable change is seeking to urgently fill the above position.
Job Title: Head Librarian
Reports to: Senior Administrative Manager
Key duties and responsibilities.
- Provide Library services at Harambee Centre.
- Oversee 30,000+ volume lending Library and manage support staff.
- Develop and coordinate programming for educational workshops and events, including guest speakers.
- Develop and maintain convenient, accessible and cost-effective information system for the Library.
- Develop and maintain cataloguing procedures, as well as an indexing system and files for the Library
- Ensure an accurate inventory of resources.
- Conduct ongoing research and evaluation to create a database that will be used to inform continuous improvement of the project, including recommendation of procurement of additional books and materials.
- Establish processes and procedures for selection, acquisition, circulation, etc. that ensure fair sharing of available resources.
- Develop and manage an effective internal and external book lending service for all library materials and maintain proper records
- Maintain inventories, compile statistics and generate reports as required.
- Manage a team of Library Assistance
- Refine and implement library policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports related to library resources and activities
- Must be proficient in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Library policies, procedures, methods, ethics and professional standards
- Knowledge and proficient use of Computer
- Good organization and planning skills
- Effective verbal, written, presentation, listening and communications skills.
- Good people and leadership skills
- Ability to perform duties with deliberate speed and accuracy.
- Mature with excellent interpersonal and strong supervisory skills
- Must be flexible to work long hours/ public holidays/ and weekends.
- Must have a Degree in Library and Information Science from a reputable institution with at least Five (5) years post qualification work experience in Library and preferably in an informal sector
Send your application to email@example.com by 30 August 2018.
Please note that, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.