Job Profile: Head Nurse
Our client is one of the leading hospitals dealing with specialized treatment. They are expanding their services to Kisii County and are thus looking for Head Nurse. The job holder’s overall responsibility is planning, supervising, coordinating nursing services, deployment of the nursing staff to various sections, organizing and discharging activities to the nursing staff.
Job Location: Kisii
Reporting to: Medical Superintendent
Direct Reports: Nursing Team
Key Result Area
- Overall in-charge of all nursing services and would therefore work as both supervisor and team leader of the whole team.
- Participate actively in the planning and evaluation at the Hospital.
- Coordinating care for complex clients and demonstrate leadership when collaborating with care providers.
- Ensuring efficiency in planning, organization and implementation of work in the center.
- Compile and submit daily, weekly (IPD HIS) and monthly.
- Focal person in issues concerning the nursing department within the Hospital.
- Deployment of nursing staff within the Hospital.
- Ensure the Hospital guidelines, policies and vision are understood and followed by the nursing department.
- Oversee the development and implementation of SOPs, policies and procedures on the running of the Hospital covering staffing and equipment.
- Organize orientation programme for the new nurses.
- In-charge of appraising nurses.
- Hold monthly and quarterly meetings with the nursing team.
- Acquiring and maintaining current knowledge in the Nursing Education and practice.
- Supervise the center regularly to ensure quality care.
- In collaboration with the administrator, the matron and in-charges oversee the daily staff track of the nurses at the Hospital
- In-charge of the bi-annual rotation of the nursing staff.
- Manage the nursing staff in cooperation with the Human Resource office in recruitment, deployment and disciplinary sittings concerning the nursing staff.
- Ability to supervise the provision of safe, effective and ethical care.
- Approve Leave forms for the nursing team ensuring all the departments are adequately covered at all times.
- Maintain Database of the nursing staff.
- Ensure adherence to polices and guidelines with reference to nursing practice, infection control and prevention and healthcare waste management.
- Ensure all nurses have a valid practicing license.
- Report any significant changes in operations of the health services to the Medical Superintendent.
- Recommend and implement inter-departmental reshuffle of hospital nursing staff biannually/annually or whenever necessary.
- Participate in all mortality audits.
- Identification and assessment of training needs of the nursing staff depending on their respective areas of work and ensure fair selection when training opportunities arise.
- Network with the Procurement & supply department, pharmacy, administrator and other sector heads to ensure there is availability of resources (medical supplies).
- Bachelor’s degree or Higher diploma in Nursing or equivalent qualifications.
- Registered with the nursing council of Kenya and have a current practicing license
- Over two (2) years relevant experience gained in a busy hospital setup. Experience working in a similar position an added advantage.
- Experience in coaching, employee development and driving process improvements and conducting Job Evaluations
- Ability to effectively multitask.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to effectively handle and manage interpersonal conflict.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Integrity, emotional intelligence and objectivity.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and utilization of the internet.
Qualified and Interested applicants should send their detailed CV, together with their licenses quoting their expected salaries to email@example.com not later than 5.pm 31st August, 2018.