Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
Exciting Career Opportunity: Chief Innovation & Technology Officer (CITO)
Join our team and contribute to our efforts of making education more accessible to Kenyans.
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was established in 1995 through an Act of Parliament CAP 213A of the laws of Kenya.
The mandate of HELB is to source for funds and provide universal affordable financing (through loans, scholarships and bursaries) to Kenyans pursuing higher education in institutions of higher learning in and outside Kenya as recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) & and/or the Technical, Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA) and recover funds loaned to create a National Revolving Fund.
A vacancy has arisen for the position of Chief Innovation & Technology Officer (CITO). HELB is an innovative institution in the education sector whose focus is to leapfrog how financing higher education is executed in Kenya by amalgamating public and private sector resources in the country. HELB offers this service through a technology platform that link financiers to borrowers true to the tag line “Education Meets Technology”.
The person we need to fill the position and to join our fast growing team should not only be passionate, innovative, aggressive and qualified but also, be of high integrity, highly competent, self-driven with innate dynamism to solve problems and be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Innovation & Technology Officer (CITO) will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), responsible for the design and execution of IT strategy, formulation and implementation of robust strategic and operational technological initiatives, policies, procedures and systems that drive and support the Board’s business and interactions with over 80 universities in and out of Kenya, 289 Technical Vocational and Education Training (TVET) colleges, a customer base of over 600,000 and over 300,000 employers spread across 47 counties while ensuring alignment to the Institutional Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
The position is for individuals who believe in pushing boundaries, who look for solutions and new ways of doing business.
- The CITO shall provide overall vision and leadership for developing HELB’s IT Strategy and implementing the Organization’s Information Communication and Technology initiatives, direct the medium to long-term planning and implementation of enterprise-wide IT systems to support the business operations in order to improve cost effectiveness, deliver world class service quality and enhance business development;
- Has the right fit to create new technology and innovation opportunities, new directions and positive futures for loans, bursaries and scholarships. Must recognize and stimulate unusual business ideas while creating and extracting business value from IT investments. His/her mission is to help leaders harness innovation to drive sustainable growth;
- Drive the analysis and re-engineering of existing business processes, identifying and developing the capability to use new tools, reshaping the enterprise’s physical infrastructure and network access, identifying and exploiting the enterprise’s Knowledge Management;
- Ability to trigger innovative process that will leapfrog the application of technology in student financing, by asking tough and insightful questions while restlessly challenging the status quo is a plus. They must provide constructive coaching and advice to projects while helping other people turn their ideas into reality; work with multiple fluid team structures which requires trust and integrity.
- Oversee formulation and implementation of robust ICT strategic, aligning it with Corporate strategy and operational planning, policies, procedure and systems to drive and support business of the Board;
- Lead in collaboration with business departments towards anticipating market business trends and navigating the Organization around developing new technologies and innovation, so as to expand corporate technological capabilities;
- Manage Digital IT portfolio and oversee key programs with a focus on next generation digital experience, expansion of digital channel, new FINTECH capabilities, cross-channel experiences, cognitive intelligence and other strategic programs;
- Spearhead the development and implementation of ICT division budgets and work plans while critically analyzing Return on Investment (ROI) of IT spend;
- Lead the design, establishment and maintenance of a robust and highly reliable network infrastructure for local and wide area connectivity as well as remote access;
- Maintain reliable core systems, including maintenance of data access authority, integrity and security;
- Execute a highly reliable secure database management system to facilitate business analysis to produce information for decision making through an intelligent Big Data analysis;
- Execute a comprehensive business process reengineering (BPR) as a framework for HELB digital transformation;
- Maintain vendor contracts, ensure continuous delivery of ICT services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and service providers, formulate and implement programs and initiatives that ensure the existing ICT equipment and system applications are leveraged and optimized to increase the return on investment;
- Spearhead the development and implementation of a working Institution-wide disaster recovery site and IT business continuity plan in line with the HELB Business Continuity Management Framework;
- Oversee all ICT projects and ensure implementation of ICT governance framework, operations and applications in compliance with global best practices and standards & established laws and regulations;
- Provide appropriate information and guidance on emerging and best practices in ICT;
- Actively engaging Heads of Departments to ensure that technological changes are sound and non-disruptive to business;
- Oversee the preparation and submission of periodic reports for the division to management and Board;
- Develop, train, coach, motivate and evaluate functional staff to achieve highest levels of performance and personal development;
- Spearhead and monitor the departmental risk management in line with the Enterprise Risk Management framework.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science , Information Technology or related qualification;
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business or related field;
- An appreciation of Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP, CRM365 and any Business Intelligence tool;
- MCSE/CCNA/Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)/Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC), Certified Information Systems Manager (CISM), Membership to relevant professional bodies such as Computer Society of Kenya (CSK), ISACA,
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience, 5 of which should be in a senior role in ICT department in a comparable organisation.
- Personal integrity;
- Self-Starter – ability to execute and implement change;
- Highly energetic, passionate about technology and a critical thinker;
- Possession of Leadership, networking and customer experience skills;
- Dynamic cross-functional interaction, and highly effective project management skills;
- Highly analytical, interpretive, strong in report writing and presentation skills;
- Strong professional acumen, excellent communication, interpersonal, influencing and relationship-building skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and achieve results within deadlines.
Ethics and Integrity
Candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be expected to prove their compliance with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 by obtaining and presenting during interview clearance/compliance certificate from the following organizations:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct) and;
- Credit Reference Bureau.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please send your application, detailed CV, relevant copies of testimonials certificates, day time contact, and contacts of three referees, to reach the office of Chief Executive Officer on the contact below and not later than 7th August, 2018.
Chief Executive Officer & Board Secretary
Higher Education Loans Board
P.O. Box 69489-00400
OR Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
HELB is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.