Vacancy Announcement: Investment Analyst
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps began working in Kenya in 2008 to address the societal wounds following the 2007 post-election violence. Since that time, Mercy Corps has built a robust and diverse portfolio in Kenya that is working to address structural causes of poverty and injustice and to strengthen systems that enable men, women and children to access opportunities, participate in and contribute to peaceful democratic processes, and thrive in the face of ecological and social change.
To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen market and governance systems, address the root causes of conflict, and equip vulnerable populations- in particular youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities- with the skills, opportunities and resources they need to be healthy, productive and to drive the development of their communities.
We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all Kenyans.
Position: Investment Analyst
Program / Department Summary: Youth Impact Labs is a partnership between Mercy Corps and Google.org launched in 2017 to catalyze the creation of new work opportunities for young people by leveraging technology.
Impact Labs operates from Amman and Nairobi as strategic regional hubs for the Middle East and East Africa. Impact Labs aims to think big, take risks, and test bold solutions by approaching underemployment and unemployment through a business-oriented innovation lens.
We seek to build a strong regional pipeline of innovators ready to create high- impact, scalable employment opportunities across various markets – for today’s youth and generations to come. We are focusing on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to micro and small businesses; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work.
General Position Summary: The Investment Analyst is responsible for identifying and developing a pipeline of dynamic tech companies with robust job creation potential. The individual will engage with tech startups and the broader tech ecosystem to support market assessments, identify promising investees, conduct due diligence and identify investment strategies to maximize growth and job creation potential.
S/he will also offer support to the partner contracting process. The analyst will work closely with a team of business support provides to provide continuous pre and post investment support as well as promote research and learning around potential technology support to job creation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Identify, develop and maintain pipeline referral networks including connecting with the local technology ecosystem to draw out new partnership opportunities
- Conduct market research, analyze market trends and contribute to knowledge management efforts on youth employment and technology
- Build investment pipeline by identifying suitable businesses that are leveraging technology to create new employment opportunities
- Maintain close relationships with potential partners
- Conduct company specific market research including analysis of historical and projected financial statements research, review to validate business model and impact potential
- Support review and analysis of investment proposals, engagement plans and budget
- Work closely with Impact Labs Partnerships Manager to structure a viable engagement in line with Impact Labs’ criteria
- Prepare investment concept note and technical review memo
- As part of the contracting process, liaise with the potential partner and internal departments during the contracting process
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Partnerships Manager
Works Directly With: Impact Labs Project team, Finance department, Tech hubs, accelerators, incubators and social enterprises
Knowledge and Experience
- 3- 5 years experience working in impact investing landscapes including social venture funds, or NGO projects providing financial and technical assistance to social enterprises;
- Experience working with social enterprises with a track record in due diligence, and investment analysis is desired;
- Excellent pipeline development skills and well developed networks in the tech and social enterprise landscape
- Excellent analytical, financial modelling and research skills
- Passion working on youth employment projects
The Impact Analyst should have the ability to combine high-quality quantitative and qualitative analysis in order to make sound judgement on partnerships.
S/he should demonstrate flexibility and willingness to test, adapt, learn and improve.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before 17th August, 2018.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process