Vacancy Announcement: Post Investment Manager
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps began working in Kenya in 2008 to address the societal wounds following the 2007 post-election violence. Since that time, Mercy Corps has built a robust and diverse portfolio in Kenya that is working to address structural causes of poverty and injustice and to strengthen systems that enable men, women and children to access opportunities, participate in and contribute to peaceful democratic processes, and thrive in the face of ecological and social change.
To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen market and governance systems, address the root causes of conflict, and equip vulnerable populations- in particular youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities- with the skills, opportunities and resources they need to be healthy, productive and to drive the development of their communities.
We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all Kenyans.
Position: Post Investment Manager
Program / Department Summary: Youth Impact Labs is a partnership between Mercy Corps and Google.org launched in 2017 to catalyze the creation of new work opportunities for young people by leveraging technology. Impact Labs operates from Amman and Nairobi as strategic regional hubs for the Middle East and East Africa.
Impact Labs aims to think big, take risks, and test bold solutions by approaching underemployment and unemployment through a business-oriented innovation lens. We seek to build a strong regional pipeline of innovators ready to create high- impact, scalable employment opportunities across various markets – for today’s youth and generations to come.
We are focusing on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to micro and small businesses; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work.
General Position Summary: The Post Investment Manager will be responsible for providing comprehensive post investment support to the impact labs portfolio of companies. This will include working with partners to provide robust growth models, job creation strategies and investment strategies to support business growth.
S/he will link partner companies to tailored technical assistance including technology business support. In addition, s/he will also have a key role of tracking progress of companies against milestones developed during the contracting process.
Essential Job Functions:
Partnership Engagement Support
- Work closely with the investment analyst to evaluate partnership milestones and budget as part of the contracting process
- Work creatively with target partners to design job creation strategies that are in line with the partners’ business models
Post Investment Support
- Support investees in developing a robust job creation roadmap
- Provide innovators with ongoing business support through some of the following activities; market analysis, product innovation and business modelling support
- Support partners to build strategies ad models for job creation
- Facilitate linkage to technical assistance providers as needed
- Design and share business support tools with partners
- Take an adaptive management approach to develop and innovate new processes, activities or services to business support efforts
- Design systems/dashboards to track portfolio and innovator progress toward partnership milestones and prepare monthly progress reports
- Work closely with the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team to ensure that impact data is captured
- Participate in, and generate insights, for thought leadership events on innovation and business solutions to youth employment
- Ensure that post investment support is delivered on time, on scope and on budget
- Identify key learnings and potential risks/gaps for corrective action to improve the investment and job creation processes
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Partnerships Manager
Works Directly With: Partnerships Manager, Investment Analyst, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team, Innovation partners and technical assistance providers
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience working for management /development consulting firms or business incubators/accelerators
- Strong business modelling and strategy development skills
- Previous experience providing post investment support to early – growth stage businesses
- Strong hands on management skills including with tracking progress and providing feedback to clients
- Previous entrepreneurial experience is an added advantage;
- Prior exposure working on a youth employment program or designing job creation roadmaps
The successful candidate should be willing to innovate and improve processes.
S/he should possess the ability work and engage with a diverse teams and stakeholders.
Ability to thrive and adapt quickly to change is crucial for the position.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before 17th August, 2018.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process