Job Vacancy: Kenya Managing Director
We seek an ambitious and entrepreneurial property development professional with knowledge of investment and asset management, to take the lead as managing director. The company is a family-owned real estate investment & development business, with a construction capability. The group was founded 40 years ago as a construction company undertaking numerous construction projects for external client.
However, for the past 25 years, the focus has been on real estate development and construction for company-owned projects only. Some of these projects have been sold, while others have been retained as investments.
The role will entail working alongside the founders of a family-office over the next 18-24 months to allow them to exit their management roles in the business. Initially the role will entail execution of the short-term divestment strategy, and repositioning of the business as an institutional rather than a family entity. This will include modernising the internal business operations and implementing best-practice across all elements of the business.
Longer-term the role will be to expand the property development side of the business, including taking the business model pan-African, while exploring other expansion strategies with the second generation of the family. The owners of the business are willing to provide the required resources and time to meet the long-term goals.
This is not a typical corporate role, as the focus will be on enhancing long-term net asset value and shareholder returns, rather than short term profitability. It is a unique role that will entail working alongside the second generation of the family to meet these goals, and will require the successful candidate to think and act as the business owner.
The successful candidate will be entrepreneurial, ambitious, driven, able to think outside the box, able to use their initiative, and, is willing to align their long-term goals with those of the business. With the unique challenges of operating in this industry, in this part of the world; good problem-solving skills, open-mindedness, and resilience are essential.
Given the seniority of the role, integrity and honesty are critical. Candidates looking at short-term tenures will not be suitable. We expect the right candidate will be with the company for the long-term, and will be incentivised accordingly.
- Together with the CEO, setting strategic goals, objectives, budgets, policies, and procedures to enhance profitability and return on investment.
- Executing the groups’ overall strategic direction and priorities, and monitoring the performance of the group development & investment companies, as well as the performance of each property & project.
- Periodically report directly to the CEO and shareholders.
- Responsible and accountable for the overall operation and management of land holdings, investment, and development companies. Including coordinating & monitoring with internal and external accountants, property managers, lawyers, property agents & other professional advisers as required; to ensure compliance with statutory requirements & smooth day to day operations.
- Periodically review and check the performance of all employees, and recommend remedial action and improvements.
- Recruit, develop, manage and motivate executive and operational-level employees that fit with the corporate culture and aims of the business.
- Above all else, most value is placed on integrity & honesty. The right candidate must be of the highest standing in this regard.
- Executive-level management experience in the real estate is highly desirable.
- Excellent industry knowledge.
- Extensive Real Estate Industry experience, including cradle-to-grave property development experience.
- Strong visionary with proven leadership qualities and an entrepreneurial mind-set.
- Relevant financial skills – financial appraisals and modelling for development opportunities and investment assets. Understanding of the financial responsibilities and accounting requirements of a property business.
- Willingness to work at an executive-level alongside the second generation family members, who themselves have extensive property experience in Africa and the UK.
- Ability to work autonomously on day-to-day operational and managerial responsibilities.
- Ability to recruit, develop, motivate and manage necessary talent to sustain the company’s overall objectives.
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills.
- Must be a professional of unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character.
- An individual with links to Africa and/or experience of working in Africa is a bonus, though not required. More important is a willingness to learn about, and adapt to the local business culture and modus operandi.
- IT literate; including proficiency in Excel, Financial Modelling for Real Estate (Cash flows, Forecasting, Development Appraisals etc.), and a willingness to learn & adopt new systems and technologies – the business owners believe in utilising technology to keep the business at the forefront of the industry.
- Enthusiasm to adopt novel ways of working to meet the unique challenges that often arise.
- Relevant university-degree from a reputable institution.
- Proficiency in English. A business-level knowledge of Swahili would be useful, though not essential.
- Notwithstanding the above – The right attitude, ability, and enthusiasm, is more important than any particular qualification or previous role.
In summary, the role involves a focus on property development and asset management, elements of property investment and facilities management; with executive-level corporate management & administration responsibilities.
Salary: $3,000 – 4, 000 / Month among other Benefits
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact to email@example.com (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews