Lutheran World Federation – World Service Kenya Program is seeking to recruit a Kenyan national for the following position to be based in Kakuma.
Vacant Position: Communications Officer
Role Purpose: The purpose of the Communications Officer role is to ensure that LWF’s communications are effective, targeted and credible. The position will develop and implement strategies to raise LWF’s media profile, as well as the profile of issues related to refugees and the host community in Turkana West Sub County.
The Communications Officer will work with relevant LWF sectors to develop strategies and create content to support LWF’s publicity objectives and strengthens LWF’s role as a trusted voice in refugee and host community matters.
The incumbent will report directly to the Area Manager or his/her designate.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain relationships with accredited journalists and media outlets.
- Implement and evaluate LWF’s Communication strategy in consultation with the Senior Management.
- Monitor daily media and advice on reactive media opportunities.
- Develop and pitch proactive media opportunities in consultation with LWF senior management.
- Write and distribute media releases with LWF communications.
- Lead production of LWF’s communication materials including an e-newsletter, Sector Bulletins, brochures and promotional material.
- Lead and monitor implementation of a practical guide for all external and (where appropriate) internal communications materials.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of communication strategies for events, forums and policy submissions.
- Develop, implement and evaluate LWF’s social media strategy in consultation with MEAC Unit.
- Develop online communication content and materials including video, audio etc.
- Provide monthly reports to the MEAC Unit.
- Actively protect children in every aspect of work and personal life, by preventing harm and reporting child abuse.
Minimum Qualification & Competencies
- Degree in Public Relations, Journalism or a related field from a credible institution.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a Public Relations, Journalism or Communications role.
- Previous experience in media relations and a proven track record in securing media coverage.
- Experience in online communications including: developing and implementing online strategies, social media pages and maintaining websites.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly, as well as cooperatively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to organise work, manage time, determine priorities and meet strict deadlines.
- High level of integrity, commitment and ability to uphold confidentiality
- Ability to tolerate cultural and religious diversity in the work place
- Possession of a Certificate of Good Conduct.
LWF/WS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation.
LWF/WS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies.
Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.
Applications and detailed CV must include email address and telephone contacts of 3 referees, one of whom must be your supervisor in your current employment.
They should reach the undersigned by close of business on 14th August, 2018.
The Human Resources Officer
Lutheran World Federation
P.O. Box 48, Kakuma,
OR e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.