Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Job title: Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
Category: ☒ Collaboration ☐ Advisor ☐ Manager
Reports to (hierarchy): M&E Officer
Number of subordinates: 1 data clerk
Working time (%): 100%
Starting date: 15th September, 2018
Length: 3.5 Months
Number of position: (1)
Context: Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab Refugee Camp and in Korogocho slums. Tdh also implements WASH, Child Protection, health and nutrition projects in Garissa County.
General job description: Reporting to his/her immediate superior, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant provides technical and methodological support to operations teams. He/she helps develop monitoring plans and adapt and roll out monitoring tools in compliance with Tdh’s approaches and methods.
The M&E Assistant helps collect, process and analyse data, and ensures that monitoring information is effectively communicated.
He/she takes part in internal and external evaluation processes in addition to monitoring of project activities.
- Helps develop project monitoring plans and adapt and roll out monitoring tools to meet project and programme requirements. Helps design databases in coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation officer and Project Manager
- Checks that collection tools are consistent with M&E plans, working in coordination with the M&E Officer while reporting any technical or methodological issues.
- If necessary, assists the Project Leader and Monitoring and Evaluation officer collect data identified in the M&E plan in coordination with the Data clerks.
- Supervises and/or supports collection activities in the field while respecting ethical and methodological standards.
- If necessary, helps enter monitoring data provided by project teams using the appropriate tools.
- Informs the Project Leader and/or Monitoring and Evaluation officer of any unmet targets, contextual changes (risks and opportunities) and negative effects on beneficiaries.
- Helps manage and organise M&E information while ensuring that confidential data is protected, in coordination with the information management (IM) team if necessary.
- Helps recruit, train and supervise any team members involved in occasional data collection activities (investigators, data clerks, data interns, data casuals).
- Assists the Data Clerks in Data entry and analysis
- Provides Key information to specific program department to support Program activities
- Ensure Data quality checking of forms and data
- To support the Data Clerk in form distribution, data entry and analysis
- To Provide coordinated training to Tdh Program staff and Community on the CPIMS tools and Tdh Tools and follow up on proper implementation
- Conduct activity monitoring of activities and generating reports of the same.
- To submit a monthly report on the Data and support programming activities
Communication and reporting
- Helps the Project Leader and/or Programme Coordinator develop presentations adapted to different target audiences. Provides the M&E information required to write reports for use by Tdh and by donors, working with the IM team if necessary.
- Supports the internal and external evaluation process (by providing monitoring data, logistical support and assistance in monitoring the results of evaluations).
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
Competencies: This position requires personal, social and leadership competencies (PSLC) and technical and methodological competencies (TMC)
- Ability to communicate clearly and constructively on negative and positive points
- Team spirit: ability to work closely with project teams and consultants
- Analytical skills
- Discipline, precision, transparency and intellectual honesty
- Results-oriented focus and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to learn from positive and negative experiences and capitalize on errors
Other professional skills required:
- Degree in Project Management or Information Systems
- Diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation/ Project Management
- Basic knowledge of project cycle management
- Experience in developing and implementing monitoring tools in the humanitarian aid and development sector
- Experience in supporting internal and external M&E projects: baselines/endlines, routine monitoring, proposal writing, report writing etc.
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative collection methods in the humanitarian aid and development sector
- Command of IT tools and experience in using databases
- Is Knowledgeable on the CPIMS tools
- Ideally, experience with some or all of the following tools: Advanced Excel (including pivot tables), CPIMS, SPSS, ODK/KoBo tool box, Ona, etc.
- Experience of at-least 2 years in Non-governmental organization
- Knowledge and experience working in Garissa and Dadaab Refugee camp context.
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili and Somali Language, and knowledge of Somali culture and traditions is a plus.
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates, (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 28th August, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview.
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.