We are hiring a Senior Business Growth Advisor!
About Ongoza: Ongoza (www.ongoza.org) is a fast-growing Kenyan accelerator for high-potential, early-stage young entrepreneurs. We provide one year of highly subsidized, customized weekly business advisory, market linkages, and debt financing. After 3 months, our entrepreneurs become eligible for low-cost debt financing through our exclusive partnership with Key Partners Ltd.
About the role: The Senior Business Growth Advisor builds and implements procedures and systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness of Ongoza’s advisory servicesand in turn improve business outcomes for our clients. You will lead and strengthen the team of Business Growth Advisors who drive the value we provide to our clients.
You will also contribute to strategy and innovative partnerships. You will report directly to the program manager, with 3-4 direct reports under you.
Roles and Responsibilities
Please note other responsibilities may be required based upon the growth of Ongoza
Manage and Coach Ongoza’s team of Business Growth Advisors (40%)
- Ensure growth of the youth enterprises in your team’s portfolio through timely delivery of advisory services by your team of advisors.
- Ensure timely achievement and documentation of key outputs from your team.
- Draw on internal successes and failures as well as field wide lessons to be a key mentor and guide for Ongoza’s Business Growth Advisors.
- Advise the program manager on the professional development needs of the team.
- Facilitate learning and best practice sharing on a regular basis. Develop and implement a standardized and replicable approach for the delivery of our advisory services.
- Develop key accountability structures and mechanisms in your team of Business Growth Advisors.
Provide Strategic Advisory Services to Entrepreneurs (40%)
- You will work with your own small portfolio of young entrepreneurs (up to 5) and support them towards growing their businesses.
- Work closely with clients to develop and articulate a business growth plan that demonstrates impact, growth, and long-term financial sustainability.
- Provide practical strategic advisory and assistance to help clients harness opportunities, structure their business more effectively, and drive growth.
- Advise and assist clients in product development, sales and marketing strategy, finance and customer acquisition.
- Advise clients on investment needs and connect them to financial services, including via our exclusive partnership with Key Partners Ltd.
- Facilitate trainings, workshops, and other events for Ongoza clients and the wider community as needed.
- Identify and tap into market opportunities that would be beneficial for Ongoza’s clients, when time allows.
Strategic Program Management (10%)
- Contribute to the development of Ongoza’s tools and strategy to improve the effectiveness of Ongoza’s service delivery and most efficient growth path.
- Ensure that innovations, tools, and strategies are communicated and fully implemented within your team.
- Foster a culture of openness, learning, collaboration and innovation in your team.
General Administration (10%)
- Ensure that all reports from the Business Growth Advisory team are submitted on time.
- Ensure that all client files are updated appropriately and the Business Growth Advisory team is collecting relevant and quality data for Ongoza’s learning department.
- Maintain appropriate expense reporting, comply with administrative policies and procedures, and conduct logistical arrangements as needed.
- You are a natural leader and are great at mentoring others. You demonstrate a natural ability to connect with, motivate, and support others to grow.
- You have excellent business knowledge and judgment. You are able to quickly analyze the gaps and opportunities within a business and sketch out the best way forward. You know what you don’t know, and how to look for that information.
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You are an independent self-starter who flourishes in a changing environment and can manage yourself. You have excellent collaboration, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- You are a systems builder and/or optimizer. You are process-oriented and are always looking for ways to improve systems to avoid solving the same problem twice. You will be called upon to build structures for your team as Ongoza continues to grow.
- You make things happen. You have a proven track record of meeting targets on time and within budget. You are creative, solution-oriented, and willing to put in the time it takes to do a great job. You follow through.
- You are a team player. You don’t work in isolation – you believe things get done only when we draw on the expertise and capacity of the full team.
- Most of all, you believe in our vision and mission – the power of youth-led social businesses to transform Kenya.
Required experience and skillset
- 3-5 years of experience in SME development, consulting, business operations or marketing.
- Direct work experience with entrepreneurs and small businesses highly preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience leading and coaching teams, with a proven record of transferring knowledge that led to achievement of business results.
- Demonstrated excellent understanding of strategies for how to help businesses grow, with expertise in one or more of the following areas: business finance, business planning and strategy, sales and marketing, product development, or human resource management.
- An excellent understanding of general business principles is a must, including product offering, value chains, market analysis, and investment readiness.
- An in depth understanding of the Kenyan informal sector is essential.
- Ability to produce financial reports and projections for clients is highly preferred.
- Must have a learning and change-oriented mindset – willing to take calculated risks, think outside the box and try new ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to hold yourself and others accountable to goals, targets, deadlines, and milestones.
- Demonstrated ability to build structures and processes that optimize a team’s efficiency and accountability.
- Demonstrated results-oriented management skill is a must, with experience building systems in a changing environment.
- Experience in curriculum development and training is an added advantage.
- Ability to use data and draw insights as a basis for decision-making for both program and organizational growth is essential.
- An excellent relationship builder and communicator, both verbally and written, who enjoys being an active member of a team.
- A business degree from a reputable institution. Added professional courses will be an advantage.
- Fill in the application form under this link: http://bit.ly/Joinongoza
- You will be asked to submit your CV or resume in PDF format at the end of the form. Make sure it’s no longer than 2 pages and tailored to this role.
- The screening process will include a case study, interviews and personality tests and will give you a chance to understand to us and the role better. We might also ask for writing samples and references.
- Selection will be on a rolling basis until the role is filled.