Our client the Royal Danish Embassy (RDE) seeks to recruit a dynamic, positive and service-minded Vice Consul.
He/she will be working in a Consular team of six colleagues. The main tasks will be consular services and assistance to Danish citizens and foreign nationals with permanent residence in Denmark.
The consular services include among other tasks processing of applications for Danish passports, Schengen visa, as well as residence and work permits for Denmark. Furthermore, the portfolio includes civil-law cases, legalisations and crisis management.
The successful candidate will be expected to show the flexibility required for optimal handling of the entire portfolio of the Embassy and thus be ready to contribute to handling tasks outside your own portfolio
Background: The Danish Embassy is part of the Danish Foreign Service. The Embassy covers Kenya as well as Eritrea, Seychelles and Somalia. The Embassy is an ambitious and dynamic workplace with approximately 50 employees, 14 of whom are posted from the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Embassy has a flat management structure.
Main tasks and responsibilities as Vice-Consul
As Vice-Consul, you will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the consular section under the supervision of the Consul. The main tasks will be:
- Provide overall management and guidance to consular staff in all matters related to their area of responsibilities
- Resource and performance management
- Team meetings
- Individual coaching and sparring
- Administrative tasks
- Coordination and synergies with other team
- Visa processing and decision-making in visa application cases
- Receiving and processing of applications for Danish passports and driving licences
- Responding to enquiries about Danish citizenship
- Responding to enquiries about adoption
- Participating in relevant local meetings amongst like-minded embassies and organisations
- Processing of legalisations of documents
- Daily contact to applicants and customers via e-mail and telephone
In the absence of the Consul, you will be responsible for
- Consular assistance in cases such as imprisonment, deaths of Danes and foreign nationals with permanent residence in Denmark, divorce cases, cases involving children/young people who are sent for re-education in Kenya/Somalia, child abductions etc.
- Participating in local EU/Schengen cooperation
- Crisis management including cooperation with other Nordic/EU missions in Kenya
- Five years or more working experience in a similar position
- Previous experience working in an embassy.
- A university degree and/or relevant work experience
- Proficiency in Danish – both oral and written
- Excellent command of English – both oral and written
- IT proficiency and solid skills with regards to the Microsoft Office programme
- Well organised with an eye for details
- Responsible, flexible and loyal
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and prioritise during periods with big workloads
- Great interpersonal and intercultural skills and team player abilities, as well as interest in and willingness to share knowledge with – and learn from – colleagues
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work under time pressure
- Ability to foster and maintain networks
- Willingness to take on a variety of tasks reflecting changing priorities of the Embassy
- Knowledge of Kiswahili and/or French is not a requirement, but will be considered an added advantage
- Permanent, full time employment on a local contract based on the relevant legally binding labour market rules of Kenya
- Working hours 37 hours per week
- Entitlement to 25 working days of paid holiday per full calendar year
- Salary will reflect qualifications, relevant experience and proven work-related results
- As part of your salary you will be covered by a workplace pension scheme
- Reasonable coverage of sickness expenses for staff and dependant family members
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, proof of relevant education, recommendations and 2-3 references) in English to the Human Resource Consultant at email@example.com marked “VICE CONSUL” no later than 22nd of August 2018.
Selected candidates will be invited for interviews – expected to take place by the end of August.
The chosen candidate must present a “No Criminal Record” certificate and pass security clearance by the Danish authorities, prior to appointment.
The Embassy of Denmark encourages all relevant applicants to apply for the position, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, personal background, etc.