Job Title: SAPFF Regional M&E Manager
Reports to: Regional Program Director – SAPFF
Location: Nairobi, Kenya or Lagos, Nigeria
Travel: yes up to 30%
I. TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
The Strengthening African Process of Fortified Foods (SAPFF) is a partnership between TechnoServe and Partners in Food Solutions (PFS) funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The program aims to improve competitiveness of food processors and improve compliance within mandated fortified staple foods to ensure intake of essential nutrients in order to improve the nutritional status of the population.
III. Position Description:
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will oversee the direct development and implementation of the SAPFF’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) systems. The M&E Manager will report to the SAPFF Regional Program Director.
Program Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Establish a framework, methodology, procedures, and responsibilities for MEL program performance in accordance with the logical framework and reporting requirements;
- Develop MEL systems for use throughout the project lifecycle;
- Plan and oversee MEL data collection and analyze such data to ensure relevancy and accuracy on a regular basis;
- Implement systems to safeguard the collection and management of project data;
- Review, monitor, and analyze reports for impact evaluation;
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of MEL activities;
- Work with senior program management to integrate MEL data into program planning and decision-making processes;
- Share analyses and trends with project team members to help synchronize project decision-making processes with MEL results;
- Recommend changes to performance monitoring and work plans;
- Train project and partner staff on MEL processes.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality in relation to sensitive and confidential program implementation data and information.
- Provide pro-active advice to ensure optimal program delivery and reporting in compliance to TechnoServe’s policies and guidelines.
- Support program team with analysis and interpretation of program monitoring data and produce reports and briefs to enable effective communication of program progress
Staff Capacity Building
- Regularly travel to project countries to provide support to the teams in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide orientation to new staff on MEL as required.
IV. Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Master’s degree preferred;
- At least 7 years’ experience with MEL methods and approaches in an international development context, including designing, planning, and implementing MEL systems, analyzing and reporting using a logical framework, and other strategic planning approaches;
- Competence managing and analyzing large datasets;
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports;
- Strong analytical, program management, and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation or other international development donor reporting requirements;
- Advanced proficiency with relevant software packages, including Microsoft Excel;
V. Success Factors: Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
- Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
- Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
- Staff Development: managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfil current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
VI. Career Pathways: The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Regional M&E Advisor.
VII. Application Instructions:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a single PDF document consisting of cover letter and current resume with salary history for the past three years to email@example.com.
The final deadline for application is 20th August 2018.
Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer