Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya)
Vacancy: Deputy Programme Officer – Extractives
Department: Policy, Legal & Institutional Frameworks
Reports to: Program Coordinator- Policy, Legal & Institutional Frameworks
Duty Station: Nairobi Office
Duration: 1 year
Application deadline: 30th August 2018
Job Summary: Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a non-partisan global coalition of like-minded individuals and organizations against corruption with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
The Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme seeks to contribute to the existence of a conducive operating environment for effective public accountability.
The programme’s overall objective is ‘to support the existence and enforcement of appropriate policy, legal and institutional frameworks through influencing, coalition building, and capacity development’. It seeks to address challenges in the operationalisation of the Constitution of Kenya, various anti-corruption laws and policies and capacity gaps within institutions charged with the fight against corruption.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Program Coordinator, Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks, the Deputy Programme Officer will primarily support implementation of the projects under the program with a particular focus on activities related to the Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Programme Management
- Assist in designing projects, develop work plans/activities schedules and ensure successful implementation to achieve overall programme objectives aligned to TI-Kenya strategic goals.
- Track and monitor project deliverables using M&E frameworks, produce M&E reports defining project progress and, analyse results in contribution to overall strategic development of the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks.
- Support the identification and recruitment of qualified service providers as well as procurement of assets/utilities and consultants for tasks specific to the programme.
- The Deputy Programme Officer shall also assist in preparation of the terms of reference, expression of interest and contracts in accordance with TI-Kenya policies and procedures and will facilitate successful delivery of work by such service providers.
- Provide technical support to ensure that technical documents of the programme are fully reviewed, discussed and appropriately disseminated. This task includes support to research, data collection and reports.
- Develop and implement national advocacy strategies and actions to promote and improve transparency, accountability and integrity in the Extractives and Oil and Gas Sectors.
- Project organization and co-ordination including meetings, dialogues with partners, development of research and learning tools for stakeholders.
- Build capacity of staff and relevant stakeholders on salient issues transparency, accountability and integrity in the Extractives and Oil and Gas Sectors and development of IEC materials on the project.
2. Strategy Development.
- Development of programme priorities and objectives and communicate to staff, partners and other stakeholders for mutual understanding and ownership.
- Development of TI-Kenya national, regional and global strategies and implementation of governance Extractives and Oil and Gas Sectors
- Development of national advocacy actions and strategies to promote and improve transparency, accountability and integrity in Extractives and Oil and Gas Sectors which includes policy development, designing and producing policy and working papers, convene high visibility events and campaign to increase awareness on governance in Extractives and Oil and Gas Sectors
3. Management of TI Kenya partners/partnerships.
- Develop and maintain local and National networks and communities of practice involving stakeholders in the Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors sector;
- Where necessary, prepare Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) with key stakeholders;
- Develop collaborative programme strategies, resource mobilization, concerted efforts and collective results for desired impact;
- Develop links and share experiences with relevant stakeholders to promote and mainstream climate governance transparency to achieve the TI-Kenya vision and mission;
- Provide technical support to project partners in the development of sound policies for transparent and accountable institutions of governance;
- Support national and local capacity building actions for local stakeholders to better understand and participate in national policy development and monitoring;
- Mobilize TI Kenya good governance coalitions, where applicable to participate in initiatives of Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors.
- Develop and maintain a database of relevant stakeholders involved in any projects the officer is involved in. This should include organizations, contact persons, designation, contacts among others.
4. Institutional learning
- Support the development of e-learning, networking and knowledge/content management platforms for communication and share-learning.
- Provide technical support for the development of structured opportunities of institutional learning including project monitoring and evaluation, highlighting success stories and lessons learnt and development of good practices.
5. Budget Management, Resource Mobilization and Business Development/Social Enterprise
- Map out the resource requirements for the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks and mobilize resources targeting development partners whose criteria match the needs of the programme.
- Develop exceptional proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the programme. This task includes maintaining a well-managed proposal tracking matrix.
- For purposes of appraisal, one well developed proposal per quarter submitted to donors is acceptable.
- Develop strategies for sustainable funding for Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks
- Develop and track budgets, and monitor programme expenditure against budgets for Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors sector projects
- Manage donor contracts
- Carry out donor research and advocacy
- Lead social enterprise and local resource mobilisation efforts for Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors sector work through generating additional resources from consultancies pertaining to the programme objectives, and mobilise resources from the private sector and citizens.
- Prepare donor reports and ensure timely adherence to their reporting requirements.
- Ensure timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Work with other programme team members to do timely and appropriate narrative and financial reporting with respect to all activities and grants in the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme.
7. Public Communication and Social Media Advocacy
- Write well thought out publishable articles every two months for management’s consideration focusing on the work of Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors sector and Anti-Corruption generally.
- Maintain an active presence on social media that is interfaced with TI-Kenya’s presence in line with the organisation’s social media policy and guidelines.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and the Programmes Manager, attend a minimum of one radio/TV talk show per quarter to discuss technical issues of Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors sector and corruption as well as disseminate TI-Kenya’s work.
- Attend a minimum of one radio talk show on corruption per year in an FM station broadcasting in a language other than English.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as allocated from time to time.
Qualifications, Competencies & Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in environmental studies/sciences, natural resource management, geography, Extractives, development studies or any other related field. Those with advanced education on the same will have added advantage
- At least 1 year relevant work experience with an emphasis on Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors
- Excellent understanding of current Extractives and Oil and Gas sectors issues.
- Knowledge of Kenya’s governance systems, institutions and their decision making procedures;
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Extraordinary initiative, creativity and capacity to think strategically
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and deliver quality work within tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and sound computer knowledge.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit one document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least three professional referees) via email to email@example.com by close of business, 30th August 2018
Please include the reference Deputy Programme Officer – Extractives as the subject of your email applications.
Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that TI-Kenya does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process and we do not recruit through recruitment agents.