Job Vacancy: Nutritionist (Aweil – South Sudan)
World Concern is a Christian Humanitarian relief and development organization working in Africa, Asia and the Americas. World Concern works to alleviate suffering among the poor in developing countries and to address the root causes through each context.
World Concern’s primary strategy is community-based integrated development. World Concern works in multiple sectors to build the capacity of village based groups, non-governmental partners and other counterparts to lead and sustain their development.
World Concern is committed to best practices of inclusive, participatory and accountable relief and development and maintains rigorous standards of both financial and program monitoring.
Program assistance is provided on the basis of need alone, without regard to race, creed or religion.
Contract Length: 4 months
Leadership and Representation
- Provide technical advice and direction to staff and beneficiaries on issues related to Nutrition sector.
- Communicate component goals and objectives with key team members, beneficiaries, local and national government, and other agencies operating in the sector area.
- Convey information and ideas and effectively coordinate the sector activities to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Participate in State level sector and cluster coordination activities and meetings.
- Participate in the Country Management Team meetings and activities
- Participate and represent World Concern in all FSL and Health Cluster meetings.
- Offer expert and professional services to nutrition project beneficiaries.
- Provision of production inputs, information and knowledge to farmers on improved production practices for crops and small stock rearing.
- Evaluate and document beneficiaries’ nutritional needs and gaps.
- Evaluate implementation plan’s effectiveness and revises as necessary
- Counsels project beneficiaries on nutrition and ideal nutritional choices based on the beneficiaries’ current condition.
- Training and information on good nutrition practices and food preparation to aid the decision making by households on appropriate choices to meet their family nutritional needs.
- Provision of nutrition vouchers to selected beneficiaries to access fish, milk and vegetables in supplementation of their household diets.
- Support beneficiaries start individual Kitchen gardens and small scale business by providing tailored advice, information, training, referrals and support.
- Build the capacity of the staff to ensure their optimal production and quality activities implementation.
- Coordinate with program, finance, administrative, and logistics staff at all levels to ensure program systems are in compliance with World Concern policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Ensure activities implementation is on time, on target and on-budget using effective project tracking systems.
- Ensure World Concern remains accountable to the local government, the donors, and the beneficiaries
Team Management and Staff Supervision
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote stewardship and accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback through regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Communication and Organizational Learning
- Construct an atmosphere where the sector team have a positive approach to their work, and embrace challenges as opportunities to innovate.
- Write and submit timely, informative, high quality and comprehensive reports to World Concern relevant government authorities and donors using approved standards and formats
- Ensure documentation and synthesizing of lessons learnt during program implementation, and develop methods of their integration to on-going and future sector activities to help the organization become increasingly more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities served.
- With the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, develop ME protocols for the project and ensure that observations made from ME exercises are communicated to the staff and the recommendations made are integrated in on-going activities and in future program design and plans.
- Requires periodic travel to areas of significant insecurity
- Field travel can involve driving on bad roads. Some additional travel to other regions may be required.
- Frequent travel within the three state Western Bahr El Ghazal and other regions as may be assigned
- Living conditions in the field may at times can be harsh.
- Limited access in the field to medical care.
- May require working extended working hours and on weekends/holidays to meet deadlines.
- Multi-cultural, Multi-ethnic organizational work environment.
- Post-conflict environment requiring security-consciousness at all times
- Requires adherence to the International Humanitarian Code of Ethics
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
- Spiritually mature follower of Jesus Christ, with sound biblical knowledge and commitment to World Concern’s values, vision and mission
- BSC in Nutrition or related field or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years field experience working in integrated development/ programming
- Ability to work proactively with little supervision
- Evidence of strong Christian commitment with leadership and discipleship skills and a willingness to learn
- Demonstrated success in working cross-culturally with diverse communities and teams
- Strong facilitation and capacity building skills
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Extensive experience in integrating development work with biblically-informed values and beliefs
- Knowledge of international standards (e.g. Sphere, HAP)
- English, fluent written and spoken
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, Internet and Email
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and CV to email@example.com not later than 17th August 2018.