African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
An Exciting Career Opportunity: Communications Assistant
(Short term contract- 4 months)
African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) is a premier capacity building institution devoted to the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in Sub-Saharan Africa.
AERC, now 29 years in existence was formed to address a glaring gap in economic policy analysis and research, coupled with a need to strengthen postgraduate training in economics, in sub-Saharan Africa.
We are seeking to fill the position of a Communications Assistant to be based in Nairobi, Kenya for a period of four (4) months.
The position will report to the Chief Communications Officer and will also be under the direct supervision of the Manager, Publications.
Overall Job Purpose: The position is responsible for assisting the Communications Division with promoting the AERC brand to the wider public through external engagement via digital channels (social media and website), policy outreach through organizing our annual Senior Policy Seminar and publications.
The Communications Assistant is responsible for maintaining an editorial calendar for our external channels, monitoring and managing posts and activity, editing and proofreading of media and publications materials.
S/he also represents AERC at external events, staffing policy and information booths and overseeing photographers and videographers at events.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees day-to-day activity on AERC’s digital channels working closely with the CCO to ensure adherence to digital strategy.
- Serves as the first point of contact for the division internally and externally.
- Coordinates logistics of events/meetings and workshop, including our annual Senior Policy Seminar.
- Coordinates with videographers, photographers and designers before, during and post events.
- Maintains schedule of AERC hosted events and other events in the industry.
- Maintains e-marketing lists within existing database. Produces analytics reports from the database and from digital networks as requested.
- Maintains contact with external audiences through social media direct messages and management of the Communications email box, with a 24-hour response rate.
- Manages general divisional office duties (ordering and maintaining supplies, following procurement process and vendor payments).
- Given external nature of the role, a positive and proactive approach to work is essential.
- Any other duties that may be assigned with approval of the CCO.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing / Digital Marketing / Public Relations / Branding
Key Skills and Competencies
- At least 3 years of experience creating editorial calendars and day to day management of digital channels for a Pan-African or global organization, including social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and websites.
- Experience working with external publics.
- Excellent editing, proofreading and project management skills.
- Knowledge of video editing software and photo editing.
- French language skills are a plus.
- Systems knowledge in Hootsuite, WordPress, Adobe, and MSOffice.
- Other skill sets include social media management, web video editing, photo editing, event logistics management, publications logistics management, editing and proof reading.
Interested applicants should send their applications to email@example.com by Friday, September 21st 2018.
Due to the expected volume of applications,
AERC will only enter into further correspondence with short-listed candidates.