Ref. No. LO/HR/09/2018
Metropolitan Cannon General Insurance Ltd is a member of MMI Holdings Limited, a global player in Health, Life and Short term Insurance, and operating in Africa, South East Asia, India and the UK.
The shared services entity is seeking to fill the above listed position with a dynamic, forward thinking achiever with expertise in the legal field.
Purpose of the Role: Reporting to the Legal Affairs & Compliance Manager, the Legal Officer will provide legal advisory and consulting support to the business.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Interpret all legal documents and application of all insurances covers issued by the company
- In respect of claims arising out of insurance cover provided, give legal opinion supported by case history and assist the claims department in handling the same
- Negotiate claims with third parties on behalf of the company with a view to reaching amicable settlement.
- Institute legal proceedings through third party providers on behalf of the company in claims, debt recovery and any other correspond both written and oral with external Advocates, third party Advocates and Insureds.
- Coordinate all legal work given to external lawyers to ensure fast and favourable conclusion and keep record of the same.
- Court attendances and monitor all pending cases.
- Deliver client-centric processes and solutions
- Drive a culture that guides and directs best practice, fostering an environment of continuous learning, improvement and cohesiveness.
- Conduct continuous training, guidance, coaching and mentoring for the team.
- Undertake Ad hoc legal project work as advised from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
- LLB degree
- Admission to the bar as an Attorney / Advocate
- 3-5 years working experience in a busy legal services environment primarily handling insurance related matters
Required skills and Competencies
- Sound legal and commercial drafting skills
- Broad knowledge of local legislature that touch on the business of the company
- Excellent communication and people skills
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are requested to forward their cover letter, curriculum vitae and relevant academic testimonials via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21st September 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Metropolitan Cannon Assurance Ltd is an equal opportunity employer, therefore canvassing will automatically be disqualified