KEMRI / University of Washington
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in collaboration with the University of Washington (UW) is conducting research studies in Kenya.
The KEMRI / UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children in Kenya. Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases affecting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a motivated, committed, and honest staff member to join our team in one of our research studies, Building the evidence base for care of acutely ill, undernourished children in limited resource settings– cohort study.
Study Counselor / Field Worker
Job Group MR/6
Based at KEMRI / UW Migori Study Site
The Study Counselor will be responsible for guiding participants through the consent process and study procedures, offering HIV testing and counseling to caregivers and children, ensuring participants return to follow-up visits, and following up with participants who do not return.
The counselor will also assist with miscellaneous KEMRI/UW study activities including data entry, data query response, attend trainings, weekly reporting, etc.
- Certificate in counseling or similar profession
- Three years of working experience as a counselor
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and listening skills
- Must be able to work in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability, and integrity
- Ability to foster trust and open-communication with study participants
- Speaking and understanding Luo or Kuria and Swahili language
- Basic computer skills
- Motorcycle riding license
- Experience in participants follow-up/tracing
- Experience working with breastfeeding mothers
- Experience working with children
- Experience in HIV Counseling
- Experience with data entry
- Have worked in a research environment
Terms of Employment: Contract for one year, as per KEMRI Scheme of Service. The successful candidate shall undergo a three (3) months probationary period upon initiation of employment.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete our online application form and then send an application with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by Wednesday 26th September, 2018 at 4.00 p.m.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.