Position: Senior Regulatory Counsel
Reporting to: Head of Public Policy
Department: Corporate Affairs
Who We Are: Telkom connects the people that keep Kenya on the move. It does this by providing integrated telecommunications solutions to individuals, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), Government and large corporates in Kenya, drawing from a diverse solutions suite that includes voice, data, mobile money as well as network services. Powered by its vast fibre optic infrastructure, it is also a major provider of wholesale, carrier-to-carrier traffic within the country and the region.
About This Role: We are seeking a dynamic, self-driven regulatory counsel to join our Corporate Affairs Team. This position will offer a GREAT opportunity for growth. The individual in this role will be working with the Regulatory team to steer the regulatory direction of the business.
What You Will Do
- Provides significant input in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that facilitate regulatory compliance and/or create a favourable regulatory environment.
- Charged with providing expert, creative, cost effective and timely advice through all regulatory transactions, in this position, the job holder identifies and analyses regulatory issues, exercises sound judgement and provides possible solutions.
- Gives recommendations for addressing critical policy issues in order to ensure that the business’s regulatory and overall objectives are met.
- Prepare advisories on government and public affairs policies by reviewing and interpreting new/ proposed regulations and laws and their impact on the company.
Drafting and Negotiation
- Handles various drafting tasks, inclusive of advisory opinions, policy papers and other submissions needed to actualize the company’s regulatory agenda.
- Support company positions by developing company strategies, responses and defences to complaints, investigations and regulatory proceedings.
- Represent the company’s interest by lobbying regulatory agencies through personal engagement, drafting correspondence and attending policy meetings.
- The job holder will further work with the business’s consumers by clearly and effectively providing timely and practical legal or technical advice on any complex issues that they may have.
Requirements for the job
- Relevant Law degree from accredited institution of higher learning
- Minimum 3 years post admission experience, preferably in a regulatory capacity.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Kenya
- Experience in management reporting role.
- Extensive knowledge of the laws of Kenya with a focus on ICT laws;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills of the English language;
- An ability to convey complex regulatory issues in easily understandable language;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skill;
- Negotiation and influencing skills;
- Proven ability to build strong and effective relationships with external stakeholders and internal business partners.
- Business Acumen: Understands the business drivers of the organization and captures opportunities to deliver business results.
- Strategic Orientation: Takes a proactive, long-term perspective on the business; obtains market / industry information & identifies key issues and relationships in the broader business environment.
- Results Oriented: Acts as a role model and takes tough decisions when required and drives continuous and integrated reviews of overall organization performance / results.
- Developing self and others: Creates a learning culture where development is a priority. Creates a climate that fosters personal investment in excellence.
How to Apply
Application should be sent by 15th September 2018, please provide an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) including details of your current telephone contacts and names of three referees.
Apply through email@example.com and ensure the job title is quoted on the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telkom Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to tribe, religion, gender, age or disability.