Job Title: Finance Assistant
Vacancy Notice: IVN/EVN/KEN/NBI/18/017
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL
Position Number: 10005234
Position Grade: G4
Define the role of the position within the team,describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
The Finance Assistant is normally supervised by the Finance Officer or the National Finance (or Admin)Officer who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance.
The incumbent’s workload and the assignments will remain under constant scrutiny and direction of the supervisor. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions.
S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials and suppliers to exchange information.
(key results that will be achieved)
- Financial transactions and reconciliations are processed in line with relevant policies and procedures.
(process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist newly arriving or departing international staff members on opening/closing bank account; process their entitlement upon assignment.
- Compile and verify budget and accounting data by checking files, calculating expenditure and estimating projections.
- Issue PO and non-PO vouchers including monthly salaries of UNHCR national and international staff, daily subsistence allowance to staff going on official missions, cost of air-tickets,requisitions of goods and services based on agreements with the suppliers, office running common cost, rental and salary advances, lease agreements of UNHCR offices, etc.
- Process on-line bank transfers ensuring that bank accounts of staff and suppliers are complete.
- Liaise with other functional units who work closely with Finance Unit on relevant issues.
- If applicable, may be required to assist in the preparation of the VAT refund submissions and monitoring of the reimbursable amounts.
- Maintain efficient and timely archiving system of physical and electronic files to ensure that all documents are accounted for.
- May be assigned as the custodian of the office petty-cash.
- Perform any other related tasks as required
(Decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Verify that the financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Have access to confidential data and information.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of previous job experience relevant to the functions.
- Good Computer skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge of MSRP PeopleSoft application or similar software.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, regulations, procedures and processes.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans ONLY.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only the present signed PHF and Supplementary Sheet(s), if any, will be considered as valid application documents. No CVs, old P.11 form or other UN agency application forms will be accepted.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Closing Date: 2018-10-10
Short listed candidates will be invited for a written and then oral interview.