Job Title: Programme Officer
Vacancy Notice: IVN/EVN/KEN/NBI/18/018
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL
Position Number 10005181
Position Grade: NOC
Define the role of the position within the team,describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
The incumbent receives guidance from the Senior Programme Officer, the Deputy Representative or the Representative. The incumbent may supervise some professional staff and supervises some support staff.
S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s).UNHCR Manual, Programme objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Programme Officer.
S/he is also expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
External contacts are predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization’s Programme (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments)
(key results that will beachieved)
- The needs of persons of concern in the country are assessed and analysed in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning
- IP agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures.
- The organizational fundraising actions are fully supported by maintaining regular contact with donor representatives and by submitting project funding submissions and appeals.
(process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Through a consultative process within the country and field visits, assist in the development of strategies, methodologies, contingency plans that respond to new and emerging operational challenges for the country.
- Ensure that global strategic priorities (GSP) and regional priorities as well as information on projected resource availability guide the planning parameters.
- Assist in developing the country operations plan in compliance with global strategic priorities and regional priorities as well as with annual programming/planning instructions.
- Assist in managing a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of UNHCR’s policies/practices related to and where applicable to UN cooperation,integrated missions, Delivering as One initiative, Common Humanitarian Action Plans, UNDAF etc.
- Assist in the process to ensure a consistent application of the organization’s criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
- Manage the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities.
- Guide and train UNHCR as well as implementing partners (IP) staff in UNHCR standard procedures related to the Results Based Programme management.
- Undertake proper collection, use and monitoring of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze UNHCR’s performance, trends and target interventions.
- Undertake field visits to evaluate and improve the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of assistance projects.
- Implement the establishment of sound monitoring processes, review final reports and on progress in order to advise on any corrective actions required or the need for additional resources to reach planned target levels.
- Apply UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to record data and assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in managing a transparent, consultative and responsible process for the approval of the country-level budgets and the allocation of resources.
- Assist in monitoring compliance to the organization’s resource allocation framework,providing support and taking corrective action where required.
- Ensure compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Monitor the implementation of IP Risk Management techniques and tools.
- Perform other related duties as required.
(decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Provide inputs for the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as prepare funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Negotiate implementing partner agreements.
- Represent UNHCR in UN fora dealing with operations management and programmatic issues.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global strategies,protocols and guidelines.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Economics, Business Administration, Social Science or related field plus minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.).
- Computer skills (in MS office).
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans ONLY.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only the present signed PHF and Supplementary Sheet(s), if any, will be considered as valid application documents. No CVs, old P.11 form or other UN agency application forms will be accepted.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Closing Date: 2018-10-10
Short listed candidates will be invited for a written and then oral interview.