Job Title: Project Control Officer
Vacancy Notice: IVN/EVN/KEN/NBI/18/012
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL
Position Number: 10018267
Position Grade: NOC
Define the role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external / internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide oversight of projects including the formulation of performance monitoring plans for PPAs and direct implementation, quality assurance, and verification, and ensuring compliance with UNHCR programme and financial rules, policies and procedures.
Other activities of project control include: Participation and provision of input to the Country Operations Plan, review and quality assurance of project agreements, project audit,monitoring, while ensuring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, capacity building of partners, tracking and management of project risks, supporting project closure, and timely implementation of audit recommendations.
The position is the most senior Project Control position in the Branch Office and requires considerable level of both programme and finance understanding, besides project control expertise.
The incumbent will supervise national staff in the Project Control unit at the Branch Office. Good managerial skills are therefore required, besides excellent organisational skills as the incumbent will be coordinating verification of projects from all parts of the operation and calling upon support from the sub-offices.
The incumbent will work very closely with the Snr. Oversight Officer and the Director of Risk Management in Nairobi to ensure that risk based approach is integrated in the project management and monitoring plans.
The Project Control Officer will mainly interact with the project and finance managers of partner agencies. S/he will play a very important role in maintaining effective partnerships, while ensuring integrity and full accountability our UNHCR programmes and requisite implementation arrangements.
(key results that will be achieved)
- Quality assurance of project agreements is provided in accordance with applicable UNHCR rules and regulations.
- A project monitoring plan is in place and implemented in collaboration with multi-functional teams (MFT).
- Assurance of project implementation and delivery of expected results within budget/resources, time frame, and in accordance with project agreements is provided.
- Resources transferred to implementing partners are utilized for the intended purposes and in accordance with project agreements
- Performance delivery and financial expenditure reported by implementing partners are accurate and consistent.
- Sufficient and adequate internal controls are in place for the management of projects and activities.
- Programme and senior management are promptly informed of major variances and risks in the execution of projects(budgets, finance, implementation or time frame).
- Project audit certificates are of good quality,timely obtained, and recommendations are implemented.
(process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Participate in the operation’s annual assessment and planning cycle.
- Support the selection and retention processes of implementing partners in accordance with UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Review that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Formulate and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with the programme unit and MFT.
- Track the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
- Review, analyze and verify Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and check accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Undertake missions within the geographical area of responsibility.
- Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
- Conduct reviews of the internal control systems of implementing partners and provide advice as required.
- Provide feedback and recommendations of identified variants, risks and issues to the partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
- Prepare project control reports with the current status of programme implementation and financial status.
- Inform management of cases where UNHCR may not adhere to its obligations under project agreements.
- Manage the selection and engagement process of audit providers for projects, and the execution of the audits,including obtaining reports, reviewing outcomes and following-up with recommendations.
- Carry out timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Participate in country-level programme training for implementing partners and UNHCR staff as necessary, as well as brief staff and implementing partners on project control and risk management.
- Provide input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control and risk management.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules,regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Perform other duties as required.
(decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Report on financial and operational performance and risks related to projects, and escalate issues to senior management.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of installments.
- Advise on improvements related to project management and internal controls.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Have unlimited access to financial and operational records relating to projects.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting, auditing or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management, of which at least 2 years in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar).
- Excellent knowledge of international auditing standards, with a minimum of two years of practical experience in auditing.
- Good understanding of project and resource management.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language. (In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Professional qualification in accounting, auditing or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Project management accreditation highly desirable.
- Risk management certification.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR systems(such as Focus and MSRP).
- Excellent knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft,SAP or Oracle).
- Working experience with accrual accounting (suchas IPSAS or IFRS).
- Empowering and build trust
- Managing performance
- Judgement and decision making
- Managing resources
Cross Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning & Organizing
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans ONLY.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only the present signed PHF and Supplementary Sheet(s), if any, will be considered as valid application documents. No CVs, old P.11 form or other UN agency application forms will be accepted.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Closing Date: 2018-10-10
Short listed candidates will be invited for a written and then oral interview.