UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. VA- 043/2018
Post Title: Finance Associate
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: G-6
Duty Station: Berbera
Duration: 1 year
Date of issue: 6 September 2018
Closing Date: 19 September 2018
Organizational Background: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the administrative supervision of the Head of Area Office and technical supervision of the Finance Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures, assist in set-up and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls;
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, expenditure and budget forecasts to ensure relevant future funding requirements are met;
- Monitor account balances and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner;
- Allocate tasks to support staff, provide guidance and on-the-job training in management of financial resources to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards;
- Create payment list for SCOPE intervention and prepare monthly reconciliations of SCOPE cards;
- Prepare monthly Financial Reports (income and expenditure);
- Maintain optimum amount of cash for the office;
- Prepare timely cash replenishment requests;
- Prepare and submit Monthly Minimum Closure (MMC) report on time;
- Perform administrative duties related to monitoring and recording fixed assets;
- Supervise vehicle movement system and follow up with drivers for maintenance of office vehicles;
- Follow up on stationery requirements;
- Follow up on generator maintenance;
- Prepare training budget and organize venues and logistics;
- Prepare request for quotations for procuring internally;
- Maintain an up-to-date filing system;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in Accounting, Finance or related field would be an asset.
Experience: At least five years of progressive responsible work experience in Finance, Accounting, Audit including at least 2 years in the field of Administration
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge: Has demonstrated experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders. Proven knowledge and experience in using computer software packages is desirable. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures and in the area of work
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to CLICK HERE to submit online applications through our E-Recruitment portal.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.