Amref Health Africa is recruiting for a Business Development Director to provide overall leadership and management of Amref Health Africa Business Development efforts and contribute to the overall strategic direction and growth planning for the organization.
Reporting to: Chief Programmes Officer (CPO)
Department: Business Development Unit, CPO office
Physical location: Amref Health Africa Headquarter, Lang’ata Road
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organization based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 1000 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $120 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org.
The Business Development Unit is part of the programme section and provides oversight, coordination, systems, support and advice to the organisation regarding business development and programme growth in line with the organisation’s vision, mission and strategic priorities and in a manner consistent with its values.
Job Purpose: As a key member of the Senior Management Team, the Business Development Director provides overall leadership and management of Amref Health Africa Business Development efforts and contributes to the overall strategic direction and growth planning for the organization.
S/he provides leadership in the development, management, and quality assurance of business development from capture through proposal submission, executing successful fund development and financial growth strategies and securing annual and multi-year funding from key donors such as USG, other bi-laterals, multilaterals, foundations and other funding streams.
The Director positions Amref Health Africa as a preferred partner in the organization’s priority areas of impact. This includes, but is not limited to building strategic collaborations with key partners and networks, as well as leveraging existing and new donor funding opportunities that results in annual growth for the organisation.
Technical leadership and management:
- Provide oversight and coordination of the business development function across Amref Health Africa.
- Facilitate and promote a vibrant core Africa Business Development team, which include the BD managers in the country offices in Africa.
- Nurture a culture of learning and sharing through establishing and facilitating a global Business Development team
- Lead negotiations with major partners in relation to funding opportunities especially from USG
- Ensure appropriate business development systems and processes are instituted
- Line-manage the Business Development team at Amref HQ and coach Business development managers at country level
- Provide support to Amref Health Africa in Europe and North America in their BD efforts with donors within their respective countries.
Business Development Strategy:
- Lead the implementation of the business development strategy including target setting within the overall Amref Health Africa Corporate Strategy 2018-2022
- Lead the continuous growth of funding solicitations by proposal submission worth about $ 150 million annually, with at least 35%-win rate.
- Lead networking and gathering of intelligence with global partners
- Negotiate partnership and work directly with Amref Health Country Offices to build and strengthen these relationships
- Coordinate and manage major bidding processes
- Coordinate multi-country business development opportunities across Amref offices in Africa, Europe and North America
- Support continuous opportunity tracking
- Support continuous development and updating of tools for business development processes
- Facilitate costing and recruitment for major biddings
- Facilitate trend- and other relevant analysis related to business development
- Provide and present timely quarterly reports to the CPO and Executive Committee on business development performance across the organization
- Ensure Amref’s is represented in external fora relevant to business development and growth of the organisation
- Monitor current development and trends in the sector to ensure that Amref’s business development reflects good practice.
- Coordinate the support to Country & Field Offices, Institute of Capacity Building and Regional Programmes to strengthen and grow their business development
- Facilitate business development training for relevant staff across the organisation
- Coordinate the continuous updating of the business development information on the relevant Amref Health Africa platforms.
- Develop and manage the annual budget of the Amref HQ business development unit
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent skills in networking and intelligence gathering
- Excellent negotiation skills and creation of partnership
- Strong skills in proposals development and competitive bidding
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Strong skills in leading multi-disciplinary teams and bringing virtual teams together
- Skills in planning and forecasting
- Ability to listen, lead, influence and build consensus
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills to a range of different audiences
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- Proficiency in French.
- Master’s degree in public health, health policy or management or similar.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in international development with at least 7 years of working in business development
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in Africa
- A minimum of 5 years working with an International NGO
- Significant experience working with USG and experience with other major donors e.g., EU, and other bilateral and multilateral donors
- Well networked with major partners and donors working in Africa
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their motivation letter and Curriculum vitae (not more than 4 pages) in one pdf file to ExecutiveSearch@amref.org October 26, 2018.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.