Amref Health Africa is recruiting for Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning to provide leadership and oversight of the Amref corporate Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework for all programmes and offices in line with Amref’s strategy and best practices.
Reporting to: Chief Programmes Officer
Department: CPO office
Physical location: Amref Health Africa Headquarter, Lang’ata Road
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
With Headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org.
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Unit is part of the programme section and provides oversight, systems, support and advice to the organization on all MEL matters in line with the organisation’s vision, mission and strategic priorities and in a manner consistent with its values.
Job Purpose: As a key member of the programme section, the Director of MEL will provide leadership and oversight of the Amref corporate MEL framework for all programmes and offices in line with Amref’s strategy and best practices.
Technical leadership and management:
- Provide oversight and coordination of the MEL function across Amref Health Africa.
- Nurture a culture of learning and evidence-based project and programme design and management.
- Facilitate and promote the establishment of a vibrant Community of Practice in MEL.
- Line-manage and coach the MEL team at Amref HQ.
- In collaboration with Heads of Programmes and/or Country Director s, matrix manage and coach MEL Managers at country level.
- Lead the continuous updating and further development of the MEL framework in relation to the Amref Health Africa Corporate Strategy 2018-2022
- Coordinate the roll-out and implementation of the MEL framework across the organisation.
- Coordinate the application of corporate performance indicators.
- Lead the continuous development of the corporate indicator bank
- Lead the continuous development of the corporate MEL toolkit,
- Provide oversight over the development and maintenance of the corporate MEL portal on the intranet.
- Provide and present timely, quality reports to the CPO and ExCom on programme and project performance and on programme results generated across the organisation.
- In collaboration with Heads of Programmes and Programme Managers/Directors at country level, test programme models and use the evidence generated to develop capacity statements/track records.
- Coordinate quality assurance of MEL data quality across the organisation and coordinate remedial support where needed.
- Manage (and where necessary commission) corporate level MEL initiatives as and when required (e.g. thematic evaluations, impact studies, strategic reviews, operations research, etc).
- Support grant proposal development by the Business Development and Fundraising teams to ensure that grant proposals have strong MEL frameworks that are able to capture the results generated by grant-funded programmes and projects.
- Coordinate the support to Country & Field Offices, ICD, Regional Programmes and E/NA Offices to strengthen their MEL function and ensure compliance with the requirements as articulated in the MEL framework.
- Provide overall coordination of the MEL helpdesk.
- Coordinate and consolidate the provision of input into the continuous development and roll-out of AIMS from a programme and management perspective, to ensure AIMS continues to be aligned with the MEL framework and meets the business requirements of different business functions across the organisation.
- Ensure Amref’s is represented in relevant external MEL networks.
- Monitor current developments in the sector to ensure that Amref’s MEL framework reflects good practice.
- Develop and manage the overall budget of the corporate MEL team.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent skills to turn complex data and information into user-friendly reports and presentations for different types of users.
- Ability to listen, lead, influence and build consensus.
- Pragmatic in approach.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong presentation skills to a range of different audiences (including boards, senior management and MEL practitioners).
- Good skills in analysing complex data-sets using a range of statistical software packages like SPSS and EPI Info.
- Excellent skills in all relevant Microsoft Office packages.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- Experience in data visualisation.
- Experience in the use of GIS in the analysis of complex data.
- Proficiency in French.
- Master’s degree in public health, social science, geography, monitoring and evaluation or similar.
- PhD an added advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in MEL of international development, 5 of which in a senior role.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the development of corporate MEL framework and monitoring and assessing programme performance at corporate level in large, multi-country organisations.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working with an INGO, preferably at regional or corporate level.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in managing small-medium size teams.
- Experience in operations research.
- Experience in outsourcing evaluation and research initiatives and managing consultants.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their motivation letter and Curriculum vitae (not more than 4 pages) in one pdf file to ExecutiveSearch@amref.org October 26, 2018.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.