We’re looking for a Grants Management Associate!
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to prepare youth to succeed in today’s economy.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018 we’re launching in Kenya, working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda and over 700 schools in Uganda (25% of the country) reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, in 2015 we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform, and in 2016 we began serving as a technical advisor to Kenya on its national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!’s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Educate!, a fast-growing nonprofit social enterprise, is looking for a Grants Management Associate to join its ambitious, high-performing team.
To fuel Educate!’s rapid scale-up across East Africa, we are working diligently to grow our sources of revenue and build new, large-scale funding partnerships. With this growth comes increasingly complex grant reporting, compliance, and project management requirements to ensure we are meeting and exceeding our commitments to funders.
We are looking for a self-starter and critical thinker with meticulous attention to detail, exceptional communication skills, and a flexible, can-do attitude. The Grants Management Associate will play a crucial role in bridging the gap between the External Relations team and the program implementing teams in Kenya, helping us to manage complex grants, source critical information, proactively identify gaps in our compliance and project management processes and propose solutions. You will also have the opportunity to engage directly with some of Educate!’s donors and partners by helping to design and execute site visits in Kenya.
We are looking for someone who is excited to work in a fast-paced environment and eager for opportunities to learn and grow with the organization as it evolves.
You’ll join a motivated, passionate, overachieving international team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact one million youth each year by 2024.
Grant Management Systems
You’ll work with our fundraising team to implement Educate!’s grants management processes, ensuring that we have strong systems in place to successfully manage every step in the lifecycle of a grant. In this role, you will:
- Manage our grant reporting and proposal pipeline, ensuring that information is up-to-date and all items are assigned and completed on time.
- Regularly update our Grants Tracking system, identify items for follow-up, and ensure that our systems are accurately capturing the information we need to
successfully manage our funding agreements.
- Continuously look for ways to improve upon our systems and make recommendations to the fundraising team.
As Educate! grows, we have increasingly complex reporting and compliance obligations to funders to ensure we are achieving our key deliverables and following through on our commitments. In this role, you will:
- Maintain and update our internal Grant Compliance Dashboard that is used to track programmatic, financial and administrative deliverables that have been
promised to funders.
- Work closely with the Grants & Compliance Specialist to coordinate and carry out grant compliance processes, including meeting with department heads to check in on compliance items and identify any gaps, and following up on any issues raised during meetings.
- Improve our compliance processes by collaborating with the Grants & Compliance Specialist to build out a strategy for addressing and following up on compliance gaps, and maintaining an annual list of milestones to be shared with funders.
Donor & Partner Visits
We’re building the reputation and support base to position Educate! as the leader in skills-based education in Africa, and that includes being able to effectively show our partners what our work looks like on the ground. In this role, you will work with the External Relations Manager to:
- Design, coordinate, and prepare for donor and partner visits in Kenya to ensure that programmed activities run smoothly
- Represent Educate! in person and over email to international donors and partners
- Lead engaging and informative site and field visits for international donors and partners visiting the program
Information Sourcing & Team Support
As we ramp up our work in Kenya, you will be our eyes and ears on the ground, helping the External Relations team stay informed on the latest updates and regularly sourcing information for reports and proposals. Additionally, you may be called in to support the U.S. or Africa-based teams with a range of fundraising or other External Relations projects as needed. Example projects include:
- Supporting the Kenya and other in-country teams with external-facing projects, such as conferences, student business club competitions, or key stakeholder
- Providing trainings to in-country teams on Educate!’s key messaging, relationship management, donor visits, and more.
- Support the team in streamlining systems and processes to make grant reporting and information sourcing more efficient, such as developing a tool to systematize and calendarize our story-gathering and info-sourcing needs for grant reports.
This is an early-career role, well-suited to those with 2-3 years of work experience.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- A strong project-manager, comfortable managing complex projects with many moving pieces.
- A self-starter, able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments, take initiative, and work independently, with a manager based in Kampala.
- A collaborative team player, ready to learn and pitch in where needed.
- Flexible, adaptable, and excited about pioneering a brand-new role at Educate!. This will necessitate a willingness to explore new territory and navigate uncertainty.
- An exceptional communicator in diverse settings, from a classroom to a conference room.
- Strong relationship-builder and able to hold his or her own with key external stakeholders, from donors to government partners.
- Past experience working in fundraising or grants management is not necessary for this role. We are looking for candidates who have experience applying the skill-sets identified above in any industry and who are strongly aligned with our five cultural tenets.
And we’re also requiring for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree (related area not necessary)
- Kenyan nationality
- Minimum commitment of one (1) year, with a preference for those willing to stay longer.
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.)
- Located in Nairobi, Kenya working alongside our rockstar Kenya and regional teams.
- Benefits & perks include a generous vacation policy, health insurance, and breakfast in the office!
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We have grown more than 10x since 2014 from 54 to over 700 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and—here’s the best part—we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 99% of our on-the-ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda: we are now implementing the Educate! Experience in all five regions of the country, intensively impacting more
than 28,000 youth and reaching hundreds of thousands more broadly through Educate!-trained teachers and our national reform efforts.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored to have been recognized by key global thought leaders and publications, including Bill Gates, the Brookings Institution, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Please visit HERE to apply online.
You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions:
1. Why Educate!? Why this role? Please tell us what excites you about working at Educate! and how this specific role fits into your career goals.
2. Review Educate!’s five cultural tenets. Pick two and demonstrate using clear examples how you have applied these values in your professional or personal life.
3. Tell us about a project you’ve worked on where organization and attention to detail were critical to get it done well. What were the specific steps you took to stay
organized and ensure that you caught all the details in the final product?
Application deadline is rolling, with priority to fill the position ASAP.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential.
We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
1. We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the
highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can
participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
2. We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
3. We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we
haven’t recognized yet.
4. We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
5. We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the Executive Director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate! is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.