Terms of Reference
Recruitment for the Position of FAWE Executive Director
Background: FAWE is a pan-African Non Government Organization founded in 1992 to promote girls and women’s education in sub Saharan Africa in line with the Education for All goals. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, FAWE has a network of 34 National Chapters (in 33 African Countries) with a membership of more than 90 members and these include; women ministers of education, university vice-chancellors, women policy makers and male ministers of education who are honorary members.
FAWE’s mission is to promote gender equity and equality in education in Africa by fostering positive policies, practices and attitudes towards girls’ education. FAWE’s vision is a world in which all African girls have access to education, perform well and complete their studies and gender disparities in education are eliminated.
FAWE is seeking to engage services of a competent firm to conduct the recruitment of the FAWE Executive Director to head the FAWE Africa Regional Secretariat and provide strategic leadership of the organisation.
This includes the management of the organisation on day-to-day basis, fiscal operations, fundraising, advocacy, partnerships and networking, human resources management, monitoring and evaluation to ensure that FAWE achieves its objectives, as well as, to ensure programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across the FAWE Africa network.
Purpose of the Consultancy: The purpose of the consultancy is to conduct recruitment of the FAWE Executive Director.
Scope of work
The recruitment firm’s specific role will include the following:
- To draft appropriate advertisement to attract suitable candidates.
- To advertise the position in suitable and widely read publications within FAWE network, FAWE website including the local newspapers in Kenya, for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- To receive and review all applications as well as to shortlist and conduct preliminary interviews for the shortlisted candidates in the most cost effective way.
- To submit a final short list to the FAWE Africa Board, with a comprehensive report indicating the performance and rating during the interview of the recommended candidates including justification of the short listing.
- To conduct reference checks for the top three candidates.
- To facilitate and support the FAWE Board in the final face to face interviews process (design interview guide)
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Job advertisement drafted and advertised widely including in the local newspapers.
- Applications reviewed, candidates shortlisted and interviewed.
- A comprehensive report on the recruitment process including; the original copies of the advertisements, long list of candidates for the position, and summaries of the preliminary interview notes on the shortlisted candidates.
- Report on the reference checks conducted for the top three candidates.
- Interview schedules prepared for the FAWE Africa board and final face to face interview conducted.
Management / Reporting: In undertaking this work, the recruitment firm will work closely with the appointed FAWE Africa Board recruitment committee in conjunction with the appointed FAWE RS Senior Management staff, to whom the report and the invoice will be submitted.
- FAWE will forward all the necessary information required by the recruitment firm including the Job Description of the position.
- FAWE will review and make timely response to the consultants as need will arise.
- FAWE will coordinate the final interview for the shortlisted candidates to select the most suitable candidate.
- FAWE will pay the consultant fee subject to the Kenyan tax law.
The Consultant’s Responsibilities
- The consultant shall carry out all the tasks outlined in the Terms of Reference to deliver the specific expected outputs, within the stipulated time frame.
- Develop a plan/ proposal how they will conduct the recruitment including the timeline and cost and share with FAWE
Expression of Interest
Interested qualified consultants/ consulting firms are requested to submit their Expression of interest (technical and financial proposal) for the assignment, to the following address; LNanzala@fawe.org, copying in MMuhwezi@fawe.org not later than 26th October 2018