Feed the Children
Health & Water Pillar Manager
Objective of the position: Ensure all Feed the Children in Kenya (FEED) key health and water activities are focused on increasing access to and utilization of safe and clean water, increasing access to and utilization of proper sanitation, increasing access to and utilization of adequate hygiene resources and improving the health status of children under 5.
All activities and interventions strive to reduce maternal and child illness and death, specifically during the first 1,000 days, with a focus on behavior change communication and promoting household behavior change by working with caregivers.
- Lead health & water project design, planning & integration into the Child Focused Community Development model in program areas and provide strategic direction for the pillar with a bias to BCC interventions such as Care Groups and CLTS.
- Responsible for overall implementation of H&W projects in CFCD areas, and ensure outputs & outcomes are met within budget, set timeframe and stipulated quality standards.
- In collaboration with local stakeholders, undertake detailed analysis and design appropriate interventions to support access to and utilization of safe water & health services, and adoption of appropriate health, hygiene & sanitation practices.
- Provide technical assistance to program staff beneficiaries and partners implementing H&W activities in the areas of operation.
- Assess staff capabilities, recommend and facilitate initial or on going training(s) based on need and program goals, and ensure the data base for those trained are maintained.
- Responsible for aligning projects/ activities to sector policies and plans, integrating best practices and ensuring continuous knowledge & learning including documentation within pillar.
- Responsible for learning & adoption of sector best practices and approaches that have an evidence-based record of effectiveness as well as propose new innovative approaches that achieve both effectiveness and efficiency in achieving objectives.
- Periodically review project implementation strategies and adapt approaches as needed.
- Ensure that internal and external reporting and documentation requirements are met on time and accurate
- Ensure that FEED is well represented in national and county co-ordination and technical meetings and forums
- Research and propose future projects/donors for consideration and prepare detailed proposal submissions (including budgets) for multi / bilateral institutional and private funding
- Improve on and establish relevant & strategic partnerships for the program and strengthen collaborative partnerships with stakeholders, donors, Government agencies.
- Prepare BOQs (Bills of Quantities) and designs for identified water and sanitation infrastructure and specification of procurement needs.
- Provide technical review to tender documents for water and sanitation construction projects and participate in preparing water contracts.
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results to assess project impact and effective use of resources.
- Perform other duties as would be required.
Financial & Budget Management
- Research and propose future projects/donors for consideration by the project.
- Pursue fundraising activities for Livelihood activities projects within the program and prepare detailed project proposal submissions (including budgets) for multi / bilateral institutional and private funding.
- Provide input to costing and budgeting for H&W related activities.
- Manage overall project budgets in fulfilment of specified outputs and objectives
- Monitor project expenditure and assist in preparing and analysing project financial reports in compliance with donor accounting and reporting requirements.
- Model leadership to all staff and intentionally develops the program officers / supervisors leadership potential.
- Ensure project staffs understand collective and individual responsibilities for safety and wellbeing.
- Ensure regular training of the team in areas of security/first aid undertaken to maintain a secure working environment in conjunction with HR and Operations.
- Handle team conflict and differences with impartiality.
- Promote professional and cohesive team culture in line with FEED core values.
- Responsible for team performance management and effective governance in achieving the vision mission and core objectives of the organization.
- Conduct regular performance reviews, including quarterly performance appraisals, and encourage the personal development of each individual (including personal development plans and the identification of training needs).
- Facilitate all relevant communication and feedback within the team, management and stakeholders.
- Undertake to promote adherence to FEED values policies and procedures.
Strategy and policy
- Participate in the developing the FEED country strategy and program implementation.
- Take part in communicating FEED Mission, Vision, Strategic goals and programme objectives among project staff and other stake holders to create mutual understanding, ownership and increase visibility.
- Degree in Public Health, Water Engineering or related disciplines
- Three (3) years working experience in community-based water sanitation and hygiene activities.
- Experience in capacity building and implementation of BCC methodologies such as CLTS and Care Groups.
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret administrative reports, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Strong project management skills and ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting problems and possible solutions for WASH situations.
- Demonstrable experience in development and interpretation of Bills of Quantities, working drawings and civil works supervision
- Self-reliance and an ability to work in a challenging and demanding environment.
- Experience in community development, community mobilization, or similar self-help initiatives, and a desire to maximize integration of program delivery, is preferred
- Experiences in preparing designs for, and construction of shallow wells, boreholes, gravity water systems and construction of latrines and rain water harvesting tanks will be an added advantage.
- Good working experience in Community participation in Development plus other stake holders (Partner, Government)
- Knowledge and understanding of Child Protection issues.
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements please send in your application and detailed CV with contacts of 3 professional referees to: HR-Kenya@feedthechildren.org closing date is 24th October 2018.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Feed the Children is an Equal Opportunity employer