The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was established in 1995 through an Act of Parliament CAP 213A of the laws of Kenya. The mandate of HELB is to source for funds and provide financing (through loans, scholarships and bursaries) to Kenyans pursuing higher education in institutions of higher learning in and outside Kenya as recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) & and/or the Technical, Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA).
A vacancy has arisen for the position of Senior Officer, Finance & Operations Audit.
The Board is looking for a highly competent, passionate, dedicated and self-driven individual of high integrity who is able to demonstrate strong leadership skills to fill the position.
Reporting to the Assistant Manager-Audit, Senior Officer, Finance & Operations Audit the job holder is responsible for leading audit teams in conduct of various types of audits and reviews in accordance with International Standards for professional practice of Internal Auditing to promote efficiency and effective of operations, reliability and integrity of financial and operational information, safeguarding assets and to ensure adherence to applicable laws and regulations, policies and procedures, standards and contracts.
- Provide input in the development/review and implementation of internal audit strategies, policies and procedures;
- Provide input in the preparation of risk based audit work plans and budget aligned to HELB’s strategy and objectives;
- Lead audit teams in planning for and executing audit assignments as the approved work plan to provide assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls systems;
- Lead audit teams in undertaking consulting assignments, adhoc audits and investigations as necessary;
- Review audit reports prepared by functional staff to ensure all the requisite audit areas are covered and details captured with proposed practical and value adding recommendations to address control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies;
- Follow up with management to ensure that audit issues are resolved within defined timelines;
- Work with the Board Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee Secretary to compile quarterly reports and minutes to assist the Committee to effectively carry out its oversight function;
- Develop, train, coach, motivate and evaluate functional staff to achieve highest level of performance and persona development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance or any other relevant field of study;
- CPA (K)/ACCA;
- At least five (5) years’ relevant experience, two (2) of which should be in a supervisory level position in internal audit.
Other Requirements & Competencies
- CISA or CIA qualification;
- Proficiency in use of Computer Aided Audit Tools (CAATS) e.g. Teammate and IDEA;
- Competency in Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC);
- Knowledge in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Experience in Public Finance Management, Risk based Audits, Management Controls and Operations and
- Value for Money Assessment;
- Working experience in an ERP environment preferably Microsoft Dynamics AX System;
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite application ((e.g. MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Understanding of Quality Management Systems;
- Highly analytical individual with ability to gather, analyze and evaluate facts and to prepare and present concise oral and written reports;
- Interpersonal & communication skills;
- Excellent team and client relationship management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and achieve results within deadlines;
- High integrity and dependability.
Ethics and Integrity
Candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be expected to prove their compliance with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 by obtaining and presenting during interview clearance/compliance certificate from the following organizations:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct) and;
- Credit Reference Bureau.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please send your application, detailed CV, relevant copies of testimonials certificates, day time contact, and contacts of three referees, to reach the office of Chief Executive Officer on the contact below and not later than 6th November,
Chief Executive Officer & Board Secretary
Higher Education Loans Board
P.O. Box 69489-00400
OR Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
HELB is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Senior Officer (Finance & Operations Audit)
Audit and Quality Assurance
|Company / Organization||
Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) Kenya
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was established in 1995 through an Act of Parliament CAP 213A of the laws of Kenya. The mandate of HELB is to source for funds and provide financing (through loans, scholarships and bursaries) to Kenyans pursuing higher education in institutions of higher learning in and outside Kenya as recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) & and/or the Technical, Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA).www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.