Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Kenya Life Panel Survey (KLPS / Tracking) Project
Position: Research Associate
Reporting To: Senior Research Associate (SRA)
Possible Start Date: 15th Nov 2018
Duration: 1 Year (Renewable)
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the project: The Kenya Life Panel Survey is a longitudinal study that seeks to rigorously examine the medium-to-long term impacts of several programs that invested in rural Kenyan youth then (now young adults).
These programs include the Primary School Deworming Project (PSDP), which provided deworming treatment to primary school students in rural Kenya between 1998 and 2002, the Girls’ Scholarship Program (GSP), which provided merit based scholarships to young women in a separate set of primary schools in rural Kenya in 2001 and 2002, and the Vocational Training Voucher Program (VTVP), which provided vouchers to a subset of PSDP and GSP participants allowing them to obtain vocational training between 2009 and 2010 and lastly Start-up Capital for Youth (SCY) program which subsequently randomly allocated unconditional cash grants to support the start-up or expansion of small businesses, among the same sample of individuals who were part of the TVVP.
The KLPS panel data collection effort seeks to follow recipients of these programs into adulthood and collect information on a range of life outcomes, with focus on expenditure, income, health, education, labor market participation, migration, fertility and marriage among others.
We have already launched the second wave of the expenditure module of our fourth round and just recently launched the first wave of our behavioural module (focused on non-expenditure outcomes) which is also acting as our adult component of an ongoing major KLPS-Kids activity.
About the Position: The Research Associate, under the general supervision of the Senior Research Associate, in coordination with the Research Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures, coordinates the facilitation of field and data activities and functions within IPAK.
This position will be based in Busia and oversee the day-to-day running of both KLPS Nairobi and Busia offices in close consultation with the Senior Research Associate and the Research Manager.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Research Associate, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Senior Research Associate and the Research Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Data Processing, and Storage
- Designing smooth, functioning and timely data flow between various project activities according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Using Stata to: process and clean data, prepare summary statistics.
- Designing Stata auditing tools for high frequency checks and back-checks.
- Supporting the Office Assistant in maintaining proper storage of all paper surveys in a secure, well-organized, and well-documented repository.
- Ensuring proper storage of all computer data including regular backups.
- Survey Programming
- Developing data collection instruments for computer-aided interviews (CAI) using Survey CTO, phone surveys and field-based paper surveys.
- Conducting spot checks for the field enumerators and providing feedback accordingly
- Data Entry
- Planning and managing data entry from paper surveys using data entry tools.
- Designing and pretesting data entry tools.
- Data Protection and Security
- Ensuring all staff comply with all policies and procedures related to data protection.
- Controlling physical access to paper surveys, computers and any other sensitive materials.
- Ensuring appropriate computer security on devices handling data using password protection and encryption.
- Policy and Documentation
- For all areas of responsibility, contributing to the development of policies, manuals and other documentation.
- Field Logistics
- Supporting the process of locating respondents, ensuring compliance with protocols
- Supporting project guidelines governing field staff who work remotely and locally
- Aid in preparation supply procurement, upkeep, and calibration
- Supervising field activities with the other field management
- Human Resource Management
- With the rest of the project management team, train and manage the field teams that conduct household surveys
- Participating in the selection process for staff hiring and assist with training as needed
- Assisting with staff evaluations and make recommendations regarding renewal of staff contracts
- Enforce all IPAK policies and communicate regularly with management team
- Assisting in the writing of weekly reports
- Other duties related to project implementation and administrative tasks as needed
- Financial Management
- Keeping track of project expenses and prepare financial summary reports
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferably Master’s degree in management, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Bachelor’s Degree (required).
- Proven 3-5 years of field management experience. Extensive experience supervising, designing and implementing data collection and/or field work activities, and managing teams of field workers.
- Previous experience in managing data collection and survey administration for adult household surveys and the kid’s assessments (preferred)
- Experience in training staff to improve data collection efforts and their accuracy (required)
- Advanced experience in programming along survey with multiple randomization and skips using survey CTO (required)
- Ability to manage and clean complex datasets, preferably, using STATA.
- Excellent management and organizational skills.
- Excellent financial management skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple teams in different locations efficiently, and team player.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations and policy makers.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience in coordinating and managing back-checks on data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Excellent supervisory and management experience related to fieldwork and data collection
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Deadline to Apply: 31st October 2018
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Research Associate -KLPS Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA