The KEMRI / University of Washington Study
Internal / External Job Announcement
The KEMRI / UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children living in Kenya.
Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a motivated, committed, and honest staff members to join our team.
Job Title: Study Lab Technologist
Job Group MR/7
Job Description: The Study Lab Technologist will work as part of a study team. She/he will be responsible for collecting, processing, and shipping participant samples.
The same person will be responsible for entering collected data from paper forms into a computer based database and responding to data queries. She/he will be based in Migori or Homa Bay Counties where patient recruitment will be happening.
The Lab Technologist will report directly to the site supervisor and will be a part of a large clinical-research team located in Kenya and the United States. She/he is expected to work under minimal supervision and provide guidance to other study staff under her/him.
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Certificate in safe phlebotomy and good clinical laboratory practice
- Be registered by the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technologist Board
- Three year’s experience in laboratory setting (clinical research preferred)
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, email)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Willing and ready to travel within the Nyanza Province
- Flexible working schedule, depending on conditions in the field. Overtime/weekends/public holidays if required
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of Dho/Luo/Kuria an added advantage
- Ensure standardization of all laboratory tests performed on specimens that are collected
- Ensure that all laboratory equipment function and all supplies adequately stocked and ordered in a timely fashion
- Ensure that the correct protocols and techniques for processing and storing of samples are used
- Ensure proper storage of specimen material
- Ensure all specimens are labeled appropriately and logged in appropriately
- Ensure proper tracking and recording of all specimens in the laboratory
- Accurately enter data to computerized database in a timely manner
- Perform regular checks of data entered on paper forms to those entered in the database
- Respond to data queries
- Present weekly and monthly reports of laboratory activities
- Prepare weekly data reports of the site activities
- Liaison with staff working in the clinic
- Perform other duties that may be given by the site supervisor
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW organization
Terms of Employment: One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months. The successful candidate shall be based in Nyanza.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales. Health Insurance Cover is provided for the staff members only.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete the online application form and send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full-time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: email@example.com to reach us by Friday 19th October, 2018 at 3.00 pm.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalised areas are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing of offer letter.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.