Nation Media Group Plc has presence in East and Central Africa with operations in print, broadcast and digital media.
The following exciting and challenging positions have arisen in the Editorial Department.
We invite applicants who are experienced, self-motivated and performance driven.
Parliamentary & Political Affairs Editor
Job Ref: HR-PPE-09-2018
Reporting to the Head of Content, the Parliamentary and Political Affairs Editor will be responsible for the coordination and management of the coverage of parliamentary proceedings and political events, ensuring that the team continuously generates enough quality and strong legislative and political content that conforms to journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style within set deadlines.
- Being the lead writer for the beat, personally responsible for writing the big parliamentary and political stories, analyses and editorials;
- Planning the work of the political and parliamentary teams to ensure a marketing leading flow of exclusives and thoughtful content;
- Taking responsibility for the quality and quantity of the parliamentary and political content of print and digital platforms;
- Establishing and maintaining relations with news sources such as legislators, political leaders and party officials;
- Assessing the political climate and anticipating likely developments for coverage:
- Briefing and guiding reporters on coverage and writing of stories;
- Ensuring that section reporters write stories and deliver them within the set deadlines;
- Reviewing the stories filed to ensure that they meet editorial objectives, house style and journalistic ethics;
- Working in liaison with the Head of Content and Chief Sub Editor to choose the main parliamentary and political stories of the day/week, writing or re—writing them;
- Checking stories to ensure that they are free from errors and libel;
- Mentoring reporters, monitoring their productivity and general content and appraising their performance;
- Participating in product development meetings;
- Ensuring delivery of digital content; and
- Adhering to the Editorial and Social Media Policy as updated from time to time.
Qualifications. Experience & skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Diploma in Journalism;
- Five (5) years of relevant experience:
- Ability to communicate both internally and externally;
- Ability to analyse and simplify complex reports for our audiences;
- Analytical skills; and
- Ability to lead a team of journalists.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, apply online at http://careers.nationmedia.com on or before 9th October, 2018.
Female journalists are encouraged to apply.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.