Nation Media Group Plc has presence in East and Central Africa with operations in print, broadcast and digital media.
The following exciting and challenging positions have arisen in the Editorial Department.
We invite applicants who are experienced, self-motivated and performance driven.
Job Ref: HR-RE-09-2018
Reporting to the Assignments Editor, the Reporter will be responsible for covering news events, writing and submitting accurate, credible, factual and balanced newsworthy stories that conform to journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style for publication within set deadlines.
- Developing, reporting and writing News and Feature stories for the Daily Nation in finished form, so that no major rewrite is required or no extensive additional report is needed;
- Attending assigned news functions, taking notes on location, carrying out interviews, checking facts and making audio/visual recordings as the case may be;
- Writing News or Features at their own initiative, choice and judgment or at the direction of either the Assignments Editor or Head of Content;
- Ensuring that the material written reflects a thorough understanding of Nation’s style of journalism as defined in the editorial policy guidelines and objectives, the house style and the journalistic code of ethical journalism;
- Researching and providing background information to make stories complete;
- Briefing the Assignments Editor on stories gathered and writing the selected ones within set deadlines;
- Following news leads and maintaining close contacts with news sources:
- Continually building his/her contacts list and demonstrating its value with consistent exclusive reports or information;
- Responding promptly to news breaks:
- Responsible for the correctness of facts, content and style of his/her news materials;
- Checking the written stories to ensure that they are free from errors and libel;
- Closely cooperating with photographers from whom he/she orders pictures on the issues he/she covers;
- Generating stories for use on Group multimedia platforms;
- Filing all elements of digital story as per Digital First policy (alerts; social media; web story; multimedia) within defined deadlines;
- Adhering to the Editorial and Social Media Policy as updated from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- University degree in Communication or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Diploma in Journalism/Mass Communication;
- 3 to 5 years relevant experience;
- Ability to communicate both internally and externally; and
- Analyse and simplify complex reports for our audiences.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, apply online at http://careers.nationmedia.com on or before 9th October, 2018.
Female journalists are encouraged to apply.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.