Nyayo Tea Zones Development Corporation (NTZDC) was established as a state Corporation under a Legal Gazette Notice No. 30 of 2002, revoking Legal Gazette Notice No. 265 of 1986, with the aim of promoting forest conservation by providing buffer zones of tea and fuelwood to check against human encroachment into the gazetted forests.
The Corporation’s operations are spread over nineteen (19) zones and two factories one in Nandi County and another one under completion in Kirinyaga County. The Corporation’s major activities are in tea growing, tea factory operations and local sales distribution of value-added teas.
The Corporation seeks to recruit a qualified and competent Kenyan citizen to fill the following position:
Reporting to the Corporation’s Secretary, the job holder will be responsible for provision of Legal Services in order to meet the Corporation’s goals and objectives.
- Vetting and drawing of contract, lease and other legal as required.
- Liaising with external lawyers on legal matters for and against the Corporation
- Representing the Corporation in legal, civil and criminal court proceedings and ensuring timely gathering of evidence as required.
- Participating in review and formulation of legal policies.
- Maintaining and filling all court proceedings as per established systems and procedures.
- Preparing legal documents as required.
- Participating in preparation of budget and ensuring effective control.
- Supervising, appraising staff and identifying their development and training needs.
- Preparing legal reports and opinion on matters involving Corporation and presenting to management meetings.
- Taking proceeding from Management meetings and preparing minutes as required.
- Gathering information and evidence on cases and compiling the cases as required.
- Safe keeping of the Corporation’s valuable documents including log books, title deeds and ensuring that they released with the approved policies and procedures.
- Performing any other duty as may be assigned from time to time.
- Ensuring prompt compliance with legal requirements.
- Maintenance of accurate legal records.
- Legal advisor of the Corporation with regard to all legal matters.
- Guiding and advising on the formulation and review of all the policies of the Corporation in accordance with the Constitutional requirements.
- Participating in insurance matters as and when required.
- Advising the Corporation on interpretation of various policies entered into by the Corporation and other stakeholders.
- Handling arbitration, negotiations and mediation matters where the Corporation is involved.
- Preparing legal audit for the Corporation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized university.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law.
- Certified Secretary is an added advantage.
- Valid current practicing certificate.
- Certificate of admission to the bar.
- Five years’ relevant experience in a busy organization.
Skills and Attributes
- Analytical Skills.
- Good people management skills.
- Excellent Verbal and written communication.
- Attention to details.
- Negotiation Skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Computer literate in MS Office and other office applications.
All candidates must meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity, and obtain appropriate certification from the;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations,
- High Education Loans Board (HELB).
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Interested qualified candidates should submit their applications, enclosing a detailed Curriculum Vitae, day time mobile telephone contacts, current gross salary, names and contacts of three referees, copies of certified relevant professional and academic certificates and testimonials.
Applicants should indicate the position applied for at the top of the envelope to be received before 9 /10/2018 and addressed to the-:
Nyayo Tea Zones Dev. Corp.
P.O Box 48552 – 00100
Nyayo Tea Zones Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.