Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets. We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek an Accounts Intern who will work in our Core Services department:
A typical day for you might include the following
- Ensure all payments are properly authorized and supported with proper documentation
- Ensure timely payments for all our service providers
- Prepare and post vendor payments to the system
- Reconcile Accounts payables and investigate any discrepancies arising
- Post revenues by creating, verifying and entering invoice transactions
- Maintain accounting records related to revenue and receivables via sales invoices, sales orders and journal entries
- Summarize receivables by creating and analyzing monthly receivables aging reports and ensuring overall credit portfolio health
- Assist in bank reconciliations
- Assist in performing month end close procedures
- Scan and attach invoices/backing documentation to payable invoices in the system on a timely basis
- Prepare and file of Statutory Deductions for payroll (PAYE, NHIF, NSSF, HELB etc.)
- Assist with statutory and other audits as needed through the year
- Assist in preparation of monthly and annual reports, including Intercompany reconciliations
- Filing of all documentation for all transactions posted on a timely basis
- Support Ad Hoc projects as required
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- Bachelors degree in Finance/Accounting
- Minimum of CPA Part 2 or ACCA Part 2 or other accounting designation
- Good understanding of accounting processes and procedures
- High Proficiency in computer software including Office (Excel and Word) and Google (Gmail, Google Docs etc.)
- Familiarity with M-Pesa B2C or Kopo Kopo interfaces a definite plus
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail and a proven ability to prioritize competing deliverables
- Experience working with professional accounting, MIS or enterprise resource planning software an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and customer service orientation
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees to email@example.com by 26th October, 2018.