Vacancy Announcement: Biogas Development Intern
Job Description: Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding.
We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Bio-gas Development Intern who will work in our New Technology Commercialization department:
A typical day for you might include the following
- Bio-gas plant equipment commissioning and testing; including development of commissioning test plans and documentation of findings
- Collection of operating data and population of monitoring sheets with relevant data. Basic analysis of data for decision making
- Identifying and initiating plant improvements
- Daily check-in with on-site bio-gas plant operators on plans and actions
- Escalate any bio-gas plant maintenance issues to project coordinators and facilities dept as well as initiate and follow up on corrective actions.
- Conduct on-site training for workmen on updated procedures and monitoring plans.
- Coordinate sample transport to or from processing site and perform the tests when required.
- Keep track of all bio-gas monitoring equipment and consumables.
Procurement and inventory
- Reaching out/contacting and vendors for equipment/consumables specifications and quotes. This may include visits to vendor locations/shops
- Prepare justification documents for required purchases and engaging relevant stakeholders for approvals.
- Maintaining short end to end procurement process timelines through proper stakeholder engagement on potential purchases.
- Coordinating equipment/consumables delivery from vendors and quality checks.
- Preparing commissioning checklists for new equipment.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- Either of the following engineering degrees: Chemical, Process, Industrial, Biomechanical & Process, Renewable Energy.
- Proven capability to work in a scientific laboratory setting.
- Minimum 1 year in a Bio – engineering internship position.
- Previous experience working in a processing plant/site setting
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multicultural teams
- Mid-level proficiency in MS office packages (Excel, word). This can be shown through certification or previous experience
- Should be results oriented and able to spot patterns within plant process data
- Proven time/task management skills – demonstrated in the workplace or university setting
- Proven capability to learn fast and adapt to fluid work environments
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff. Successful candidates should be able to communicate to stakeholders when there are delays or setbacks, early.
- Excellent research skills
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism. Should have the ability to maintain confidentialities and tactful in dealing with clients
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
To apply, please submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees to email@example.com by 12th October, 2018.
While the 2017 Sanergy interns are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation