Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding.
We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Draughtsman Intern who will work in our New Technology Commercialization department:
A typical day for you might include the following
- Develop detailed and annotated drawings in plan and section from sketches from the engineer and/or architect
- Develop detailed drawings showing levels and topography
- Develop detailed sections from plan views that include accurate labeling of materials and dimensions
- Perform quantity take off of materials and produce detailed bills of materials
- Generate accurate bar bending schedules from detailed designs
- Design plans using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software
- Add details to drawings incorporating materials and familiar methods of constructions from knowledge and command of building techniques
- Suggest solutions to design and detailing challenges when necessary
- Specify dimensions and materials.
- Maintain accurate records of drawings including revisions and associated numbers
Skills and Qualifications you’ll need
- Diploma in Civil/Structural Engineering
- A focus on draughtsman ship and Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 1 year working experience in designing and drafting in a busy environment
- Evidence of professional drawings worked on in the past
- Proficiency in AutoCAD design software
- Experience with creation of Bills of Quantities
- Knowledgeable in the use of excel spreadsheets.
- Possess exceptional creativity and innovation
- Good command of specifications in British Standards and Eurocodes
- Good command of design and detailing in reinforced concrete
- Good command of design and detailing of steel structures
- Good command of design and detailing of connections in steel structures
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must
- Have an understanding of the latest trends and their role within a commercial environment
- Have professional approach to time, costs and deadlines
- Good reporting skills.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees to email@example.com by 26th October, 2018.