SHOFCO is a Kenyan registered Charity Organization with its Headquarters in Gatwekera-Kibera and other offices in New York, Mathare Slum, Mukuru Slum and Bangladesh with a plan to move to other slums in Kenya with a VISION of “Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty”.
It is a grassroots movement that catalyzes large-scale transformation in urban slums by providing critical services for all, community advocacy platforms, and education and leadership development for women and girls.
We seek to fill the following position:
Facilities and Maintenance Manager
Section: Business Services
Department: Operations and Resources
Location / Work Station: Kibera / Mathare / Mukuru / Bangladesh
Working Hours: Monday – Friday | 8.00 AM – 5.00PM
Reports to: Operations and Resources Director
Direct reports: Construction Contractors and Consultants, Maintenance Worker and Janitors
Job Purpose: To be responsible for managing and delivering facilities maintenance to all beneficiaries of SHOFCO, giving complete user satisfaction, and expedite growth within the organisation.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Manage teams effectively to ensure competencies match the required tasks and to enable forecasting and scheduling of works.
- Attend and lead site visits assessing and supporting staff.
- Manage and coordinate a planned preventative maintenance schedule including negotiating and agreeing service/maintenance contracts with third parties.
- Manage and prioritise any reactive maintenance requests.
- Review and monitor the company’s consumption of utilities and strive to minimise the consumption and the associated costs.
- Manage the stock of critical spare parts for key equipment.
- Manage and ensure that delivery vehicles and site transport are safe and legal at all times.
- Inspect buildings’ structures to determine the need for maintenance, repair or renovation.
- Manage SHOFCO’s waste and recycling system ensuring that waste is minimised and recycling is maximised.
- Ensure the security of SHOFCO properties by researching and implementing various security measures.
- Review and assist in developing aspects of the company’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Review SHOFCO’s compliance with all current legislation in relation to health & safety.
- Conduct rigorous risk assessment and maintain accident management systems.
- Maintain a central record of all risk assessments and accidents.
- Develop and deliver in-house health and safety training.
- Liaise with various departments to ensure that all parties are aware of any planned maintenance activity.
- Oversee all external construction works
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Degree or Diploma in Civil / Structural engineering
- Diploma holders shall need minimum 5 years hands on experience
- Qualification in general carpentry, electrical, plumbing, or any other related field
Other requirements (unique/job specific)
- Willing to work outside of normal office hours to meet to demand
- Articulate issues in construction
- Able to supervise a construction team
- Knowledge and experience of soft services and hard services within an environment such as SHOFCO
- Business acumen
- Proven communication and influencing skills
- Organization management
- Computer literacy
- Equipment maintenance and operation
- Strategic thinking
- Analytical skills
Behavioural Competencies / Attributes:
- Proven ability to form, motivate and lead a multi-skilled team in the support of Facilities Management
- Ability to manage both small and large value projects in addition to general day to day compliance works, maintenance and repairs
- Adaptability and decisiveness
- Honesty and integrity
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager email@example.com or drop their hard copies at our Head Office in Kibera, Gatwekera.
Applications without this information will not be considered.
DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach us no later than 31st October 2018.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.